SRAM vs. SHIMANO

General mountain bike discussion lounge. Drop in and introduce yourself!
36 postsPage 1 of 31, 2, 3
SRAM vs. SHIMANO

Postby joetutt » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:02 pm

So I'm in the middle of my Sortie build and as I'm scouring the internet researching parts I find myself going back and forth, SRAM, Shimano,SRAM, Shimano. Most of my riding buds are pro Shimano and I'm running Shimano on my Trance now. As I'm happy with it my Shimano set-up, I haven't had a chance to compare. So I ask, do I make the leap and try something new with SRAM or stick with what I'm happy with Shimano?
joetutt offline

Re: SRAM vs. SHIMANO

Postby element22 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:15 pm

Big question first I guess would be are you doing a complete group and what configuration....2x9,2x10,3x9,3x10. Both brands work well...I find however I prefere the feel of the Sram to that of Shimano. I feel there is a more positive shift with Sram. I also love the construction of Sram..Solid components, easy to work with and set up and in the 2x10 they come in colors to match your build...
No applause please!! Just Money..Thank you..
element22 offline
Editor

Postby joetutt » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:27 pm

element22 wrote:Big question first I guess would be are you doing a complete group and what configuration....2x9,2x10,3x9,3x10. Both brands work well...I find however I prefere the feel of the Sram to that of Shimano. I feel there is a more positive shift with Sram. I also love the construction of Sram..Solid components, easy to work with and set up and in the 2x10 they come in colors to match your build...

Well I guess another question for me would be just that? I almost never use my smallest chainring which makes me think I should switch to a 2x but I can't decide. I feel like once I make that switch I'll need or want that granny ring. Also, are most SRAM and Shimano components compatible with each other and how do I know which are or are not? For example, can I use a SRAM shift levers with Shimano derailleurs?
joetutt offline

Postby dozzerboy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:29 pm

You can use a SRAM shifter for shimano front derailluer and vice versa. But you cannot for rear derailluers.... I like shimano over SRAM becasue the shifters are a push-push/pull configuration as apposed to SRAM's push-push.
The Internet:

Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.
dozzerboy offline

Postby element22 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:19 am

Actually this years stuff your going to have to be careful as things are splintering off into different technologies. Sram now has 1:1 and what they call exact actuation...1:1 is the 9spd stuff and the exact actuation is 1:1 pull as well but works on 10spd only.. To confuse matters more. 2x and 3x use different shifter pods as well as front derailleurs. All this is only on the Sram side of the coin..

Shimano has a split on the x9 (Mega9) and x10 (Dyna-sys), and just like Sram parts cannot be mixed. One thing i do not see is a 2x specific front derailleur. But I do notice that the XTR is the only true 2 ring set up from Shimano.

When building up a 2X set up from Sram you can for cost reasons mix X0,X9,X7 and still have a good working bike. For example you can run an x7 crank with x9 shifters and front derailleur and an X0 rear derailleur with no worries. I have a few bikes already running 2X10 XO and X9 and one bike a 1X10 XO mixed with Descendant cranks..All of them work super.
element22 offline
Editor

Postby joetutt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:31 am

Man, this can get confusing! I guess to make things easy, I should look for a complete group and not mix and match brands.

@e22: I think I remember another thread you posted something along the lines of a true 2x and just removing a little ring isn't a true 2x. What's the difference?
joetutt offline

Postby dozzerboy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:34 am

^^^ Yet another reason to go shimano. :lol:
The Internet:

Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.
dozzerboy offline

Postby element22 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:49 am

As I mentioned before.....Shimano has the exact same issues.....

Sram however give you way more choices than Shimano as Shimano only has the XTR avaliable with 2X up front....XT is still 3X as well as SLX...
element22 offline
Editor

Postby element22 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:25 am

Another big thing with true 2X10 systems. The gearing work a bit better for one thing the 26/36 rings are closer together which for one thing reduce the number of recovery shifts needed. Also and this is a biggy. Both gears are closer to the lower pivot on most full suspension bikes. This one small often overlooked feature is a big plus to the handling and feel of your bike when your on the pedals cranking and hitting obsticals at the same time. The forces from the crank will not influence the suspension travel seeing that the chainline is almost in the same plane and the reactive forces of the lower arm.

3X systems have the small ring far off from the lower pivot and when in the small ring will cause the suspension to react..
element22 offline
Editor

Postby fat_billy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:41 am

Shimano vs Campy. Shimano vs SRAM. Choices, choices. Shimano has been the best system for years as far as service and reliability. Every bike shop on the planet has parts and pieces for Shimano. SRAM has some compatibility with Shimano and different colors (woo) so it sounds like Shimano is the standard. Both systems have advantages but Shimano is the number one OEM manufacturer. Why do the manufacturers choose Shimano? Reliability, ease of service (warranty) and customer satisfaction. Easy to see I'm a Shimano fan. SRAM doesn't come close to Shimano on high quality fishing equipment. Oh crap! Another comparison! :mrgreen: Later,
Fat Billy sponsored by: Any all you can eat buffett, Michelin, Panaracer, Shimano, Serotta Bicycles, Sidi shoes, Bell Helmets, Monkey light Handlebars, Camel Back products. Wait a minute I give them money and all they give me is high prices. Never mind! Too wet to ride? Try Planking to help keep muscle tone.
fat_billy offline

Postby element22 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:25 am

Hmmmm

Fat_billy, your not wanting to make many friends now are you?
element22 offline
Editor

Postby joetutt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:28 am

element22 wrote:As I mentioned before.....Shimano has the exact same issues.....

Sram however give you way more choices than Shimano as Shimano only has the XTR avaliable with 2X up front....XT is still 3X as well as SLX...

SRAM may be the way to go if I go 2x because XTR is just out of my budget right now.
joetutt offline

Postby Gike » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:49 am

Sram seems to be cutting into shimano's market recently. I recently went with a Sram 1x9 setup after 6 years of SSing. LOVE IT!! Flawless.
Gike offline

Postby joetutt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:53 am

Gike wrote:Sram seems to be cutting into shimano's market recently. I recently went with a Sram 1x9 setup after 6 years of SSing. LOVE IT!! Flawless.

Interesting! 1x9! Haven't thought about that. What kind of riding do you do? What are your trails like? How come you like so much over SS?
joetutt offline

Postby joetutt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:18 am

ChiliPepper wrote:
joetutt wrote:
Gike wrote:Sram seems to be cutting into shimano's market recently. I recently went with a Sram 1x9 setup after 6 years of SSing. LOVE IT!! Flawless.

Interesting! 1x9! Haven't thought about that. What kind of riding do you do? What are your trails like? How come you like so much over SS?

Joe, all you need is a 1x9 set-up here in FL, and less parts to replace and cuts down just a bit on the weight as well. I will never go back to 3x7/8/9 or 2x7/8/9. The only way i would go back to 3 x or 2x is if I moved out of FL, which is in the workings, but got postponed for this year anyways.

What size ring do you have chili?
joetutt offline

Next
36 postsPage 1 of 31, 2, 3