what to carry

Discuss or need help with riding skills or techniques, then post your questions here. Discuss your tips on getting buff for mountain bike races and improving your speed. Find out about nutrition, workouts, and drills you can use to dominate the local bike race circuit!
23 postsPage 2 of 21, 2

Postby joetutt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:30 pm

I like to keep the following in my camelbak:

1. Extra tube
2. Topeak Alien II Multi Tool
3. Mini Pump w/schrader to presta adaptor
4. Derailleur hanger
5. Adventure Medical First Aid Kit
6. Zip Ties
7. Energy Gel Pak
8. Extra Chain Link
9. Extra screws for my SPD cleats
10. iPhone (good for pics and emergency)

I think that's it. I've used my multi-tool a number of times. I lost a screw on my SPD cleats while on the trail and that was hell (couldn't unclip), so I now keep those. Haven't blown a tire yet or broke my derailleur hanger or needed first aid, but better safe than sorry. The Adventure Medical Kits are super lightweight, waterproof and have just about everything you need http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/pro ... roduct=120
joetutt offline

Postby dgaddis » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:22 pm

joetutt wrote:The Adventure Medical Kits are super lightweight, waterproof and have just about everything you need http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/pro ... roduct=120

That's what I ordered. As a member of the National Mountain Bike Patrol you get access to the IMBA NMBP team at promotive.com and get crazy deals on certian brands, Adventure Medical Kits is one of them, 50% off MSRP. I ordered an Ultralight .9 + a SAM Splint, normally $53, I got it for $36.50, which includes a $2 transaction fee and $8 shipping. Looking forward to getting it...not looking forward to using it lol.
www.SouthernWheelworks.com - Custom wheels designed and built just for you, by hand.
dgaddis offline

Postby joetutt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:46 pm

I ordered an Ultralight .9 + a SAM Splint, normally $53, I got it for $36.50, which includes a $2 transaction fee and $8 shipping. Looking forward to getting it...not looking forward to using it lol.

These kits are great, you'll love it. I originally ordered it for a 10 hour adventure race in the Jacksonville. Having your pack on while running, kayaking, and mountain biking for 10 hours, you need it to to be as lightweight as possible. Plus it's waterproof so it worked out well. Good choice and sweet deal!
joetutt offline

Re: what to carry

Postby JarheadMtnBkr » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:53 am

I carry the following:

-Extra tube
-patches
-set of 3 tire levers
-mini pump (attached to frame)
-tire pressure gauge
-mulit size allen keyset
-military ID
-cell phone

Plan to start carrying when I get a Hydration pack with some storage abilities:

-Items already listed
-IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit - essentially a fully stocked trauma first aid kit)
-few spare parts here and there
-grubbage (everyone's gotta eat!)
Still a proud Marine of 7+ years and a 4 time Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran....now I mountain bike!
JarheadMtnBkr offline

Postby fat_billy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:06 am

Things in my Camelback:

1.) Two 26" tubes
2.) co2 inflate with 4 co2 cylinders
3.) Small tool kit, chain breaker, spoke wrench and a couple of multi tools
4.) Three tire tools
5.) Small hand pump
6.) Water, Duh!

Later,
Fat Billy sponsored by: Any all you can eat buffett, Michelin, Panaracer, Shimano, Serotta Bicycles, Sidi shoes, Bell Helmets, Monkey light Handlebars, Camel Back products. Wait a minute I give them money and all they give me is high prices. Never mind! Too wet to ride? Try Planking to help keep muscle tone.
fat_billy offline

Postby maddslacker » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:35 am

You really don't trust your CO2, do you! :lol:
Come chat about mountain bikes in real time!
http://gotslack.freeshell.org/mtb

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby fat_billy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:55 am

I do trust the CO2. I have the hand pump to put a little air in the tube to help prevent pinching the tube. A leftover of motorcycle tires but it works and helps mount the tire. So there! :mrgreen: Later,
Fat Billy sponsored by: Any all you can eat buffett, Michelin, Panaracer, Shimano, Serotta Bicycles, Sidi shoes, Bell Helmets, Monkey light Handlebars, Camel Back products. Wait a minute I give them money and all they give me is high prices. Never mind! Too wet to ride? Try Planking to help keep muscle tone.
fat_billy offline

Postby RJen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:01 pm

Besides the obvious already listed, I recommend a spare drop out hanger. A small twig in the derailleur is all it takes to ruin your ride. This past week end it happened to me at about 20 miles into a 50 mile ride. Since the bike is new, I didn't have a spare DO, but was able to convert to singlespeed using a chain break, multitool, zip tie, and tape. If I would have had a replacement DO, I wouldn't have had to use the 35 mile break out. WRT first aid kits, band aids are for applying after you get home. If a chain ring takes a hunk out of your leg, you're going to want all the gauze and tape you can carry. Latex gloves are good if it's someone elses blood. :)
RJen offline

Previous
23 postsPage 2 of 21, 2