Mountain Bike for Kids

Biking with kids, family, and/or significant others. Discuss family rides & your kids biking adventures, along with getting info on kids bikes, places to ride, or special events for families & kids.
30 postsPage 1 of 21, 2
Mountain Bike for Kids

Postby foxrider71 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:49 am

My 6 year old son is starting to come with me to the trails. It’s so great to see how he really enjoys riding them. He rides over small rocks, roots, he falls down when he hits what he calls “sand trapsâ€
foxrider71 offline

Postby droc » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:05 am

First off, I think it's absolutely phenominal that you've got your 6 year old out there riding with you. I've got an 18-month-old daughter, and I can't wait until she's old enough to ride with me. So, great job getting your kid into riding.
As far as whether or not it's worth the investment of a more expensive bike...in my opinion I think it is. Even though the little one isn't doing anything crazy right now, he'd still probably be better-served on a bit nicer, sturdier bike rather than a dept store bike. And after he outgrows it, you can always hand it down to another kid you know, or get a few bucks out of it on ebay or craigslist. That's my opinion...I'm sure others will chime in with some fantastic advice. Good luck!
droc offline

Postby Xerien » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:45 pm

Take a look at a Trek 220 - It's a 24" but is adjustable to fit kids as young as 6.
They include many "Dialed" Fit-Specific components which are adjustable to match the reach of various age kids. (This seems to vary somewhat depending on which flavor/year of the 220 you're looking at.) For example, the stem on my son's has a fully upright position (6 yrs) all the way to fully forward (10+.) Even the cranks have extra sets of holes to allow for the shorter pedal stroke length of younger legs. The brake levers too, are designed with smaller hands in mind. Though not adjustable, they require very little reach, making it easy for smaller kids to 1 or 2 finger brake.

at ~$250 list (I think we dropped just under 200) it's been a good value for us, and has withstood everything our son and the neighborhood kids could throw at it.
Xerien offline

Postby Devin_P » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:57 pm

I agree that it is great that you have your kid out there already. the coolest part is that as he gets older you will find that he is practically fearless. I also agree that it is worth the money to get him a better bike. They are better made and typically lighter which makes a big difference when you're small. It also will allow you to take the oppurtunity to teach him about the bike and how to care for it. I would suggest looking at the Trek MT 60 or similar....

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/ki ... _6_9/mt60/
Devin_P offline

Postby foxrider71 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:20 pm

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I actually found a local bike shop that has both the Trek and the Specialized in stock. I'm taking my kid to the store this weekend so he can try them out. I'll let you know how it goes.
Chili, you know what I ride, so you also know for which one I'll be pulling for :) , but at the end it's going to be his decision.
I'm sure he's going to thank you all everytime he's out in the trails having a great time with his new rig.
foxrider71 offline

Postby BHwKids » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:41 pm

My 8 year old has been riding a Specialized Hotrock for the last year. I got it second hand on eBay. It's only a 24" wheel. My son is not tall enough for a regular bike yet. Maybe in another year or so. The bike is or was about 30 pounds. I changed the seat and post and shaved 1/2 a pound off the bike.

Change the picture of the bike here: http://www.bikinghikingwithkids.com/mou ... sons-ride/

I paid around $140. Except for one paint chip, the bike was like new. I saved on the shipping because the seller was close to my house and I was able to pick it up. I can probably resell it for around $100.00.

Save money by buying your son a good quality second hand bike. he will enjoy riding it and when he outgrows the bike, you can resell it and recoup most of the money you originally paid.

[/url]
BHwKids offline

Postby fleetwood » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:52 am

We got our son an "X-Games Moto Bike" two years ago and he still hardly rides it. I think it is just too much work for him due to its heaviness and the fact that the seat is made like a moto-cross bike, so it sits up high.

I found a Trek Jet 16 on Craigslist for $50. I wonder if it is worth a shot to get that (if still available) to see if he has a better time on it.

My son just turned 6, and Trek's site lists the bike for kids ages 4-6, so I have some concerns about him outgrowing it fast. Then again, it might be just what he needs to progress. Any opinions out there?
fleetwood offline

Postby maddslacker » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:08 pm

My now 8yo daughter is a phenomenal rider. I started her at 6yo on a 20" 6spd Specialized Hotrock hardtail, and she currently has the exact same bike in a 24" 21spd.

This bike is solidly built with "real" components that will easily last through 2-3 or more kids.

It's essentially a miniature Rockhopper.

Current Boys' Model

Bottom line: get him a decent bike that's comfortable and doesn't break down on him. It will cost more, but he will be safer and he will have more fun, and therefore hopefully stick with it.

Also, you can pick these up used on Craigslist or eBay for around $100

Obligatory action shots: (from the 20")

maddslacker offline

Postby maddslacker » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:09 pm

fleetwood wrote:My son just turned 6, and Trek's site lists the bike for kids ages 4-6, so I have some concerns about him outgrowing it fast. Then again, it might be just what he needs to progress. Any opinions out there?

Yes, for a 6yo, the 16" will be too small soon, if not already. Go with the 20"

**Speaking from experience, I currently have 6yo and 8yo girls**
maddslacker offline

Postby maddslacker » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:28 pm

foxrider71 wrote:Goose, you know what I ride, so you also know for which one I'll be pulling for :) , but at the end it's going to be his decision.
I'm sure he's going to thank you all everytime he's out in the trails having a great time with his new rig.

My LBS also carries both, and my daughter rode both. IMO, the mini Specialized is a much closer approximation to the adult versions than the mini Trek.

**This is not a reflection on Trek in general, so don't flame me**

foxrider71, you'll see what I mean when you're at the LBS, and I have run across other makes of kids bikes at places like Dicks Sporting Goods or Sports Authority that look very similar to the Trek, but for less $$

Just keep an open mind is all I'm sayin' :wink:
maddslacker offline

Postby trussman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:09 pm

I just bought a Trek Jet 20 for my boy who just turned 7. He was on a 16" wally world special before this bike. Night and day difference in his riding ability. I would highly recomend a good quality bike for younger riders. The light weight is very impresive.

Stephen
trussman offline

Postby maddslacker » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:32 pm

yeah, my 8yo is already eyeing my Giant Trance and has indicated she wants a pink Yeti 575 when she's tall enough.

Heck, her inseam is only 4" shorter than mine, she can start riding the Giant pretty soon!
maddslacker offline

Postby maddslacker » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:59 pm

Yeah, our riding out here is "XC with drops" more than straight freeride, and since they developed the Yetis on trails about 15 minutes from where I'm sitting...

What I'm saying is Yeti is *the* Colorado technical singletrack bike, IMHO

She's old enough for a racing series they have up in the mountains, but she needs a little more singletrack under her belt first...next year I'll enter her in it for sure.
maddslacker offline

Postby garbanzo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:46 pm

My oldest son is also 6 and loves to bike everywhere. I got him a rare 18 inch wheel bike at Canadian tire. It's a great size for him, but the the gear shifter sucks( grip shifter ) so he has a hard time changing gears. But nothing makes you prouder as parent as watching your kids rip it up better than you could at that age or older. It almost makes up for them making me loose my hair.
garbanzo offline

Postby foxrider71 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:53 pm

Hey everybody. I finally had the time to sit down and give an update. My son finished school last week, and as promised, thanks to his good grades, he got his new mtb. We finally went for the Trek MT 60. The determining factor for him to choose this one: "Wow, the black and blue color looks cooler dad!" :D . We went riding the next day after a big storm and he had a great time. What a difference. Only 25 lbs for this 20", that's 2 lbs lighter than his old 16". A few of the climbs that he always walked with his old bike, he now made them look easy. He just went crazy across mud and sections with standing water, like if they weren't there. He finally learned that he has to use the brake levers instead of the pedals to stop, thanks to a tree and then a fence that he rode into. He's OK, he wasn't really going that fast. Now he's also figuring out the gears: "Dad, if I use # 1 and #2 to go up and #5 and #6 when it's flat, what is #4 for? :) :) .
I didn't have the camera with me that day, but here are a few action shots with his old bike. I'll bring the camera with me next weekend.

Chili, hope you feel better now. Sorry to hear about the Tillman trails. I rode the Wickham Park trails two weeks ago, got lost a couple of times, but had a fun time out there.
foxrider71 offline

Next
30 postsPage 1 of 21, 2