Mid-life mtb

Are you new to mountain biking? Drop in and introduce yourself and say hello & get your MTB newb questions answered here.
36 postsPage 2 of 31, 2, 3
Re: Mid-life mtb

Postby seba » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:09 am

There is lots of people in their 40's riding in my area.Im 37 now and i started two years ago by going downhill in VT.Now im riding local trails in Ct and this is my thing.Good luck.Its never too late.And i also got Scott bike.Aspect 940 29er
seba offline

Postby arkinet » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:58 pm

Im 42, and started riding last year. Doing maybe 2-3 rides a week, nothing crazy just 10-15 milers on colorado frontrange singletrack. I sometimes ride with a friend in his late 20s, and age and fit really matters on long rides. So last winter I did my best to sneak a ride or 2 a week, weather permitting, for fun and fit(doc recommended :D ) .2 weeks ago, I rode with my younger friend, and realized Im actually faster and fitter when I edged him on one of the climbs.

So all I can say is, as what everybody says, its NEVER too late. Go have fun.
Last edited by arkinet on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arkinet offline

Postby tholyoak » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:04 pm

I just turned 40 myself. I took my first mountain bike ride with my Scout troop at age 16. I loved it, and was wishing I could afford to buy one (I was on a rented bike). Then I went flying over the handlebars and ended up getting stitches in my face and arm. It took me about 20 years to get up the guts to try again. Now I wish I hadn't wasted all that time in between.
tholyoak offline

Postby ironhead700 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:37 pm

thefox wrote:Hi all,

I am 40 years old and getting into mountain biking. Probably too late, too old, but I have fallen in love with roots & rocks, and I am just not ready for a road bike. I ride a Scott scale 960 29er hardtail.

Spent my youth on bmx bikes in the 80's, then just peddled to work & back for many years, before an impulse ride on a technical singletrack while on holiday last year led me to start practising.

This forum looks like a nice place with good people, so I thought I would sign up & say hi.

Your post made my day:
Quote: [b]"I am 40 years old and getting into mountain biking. Probably too late, too old...................

I started mtb in 2008 at the age of 59. After 25 years of riding Harleys I sold my motorcycle - wasn't gettin' much exercise just twisting a throttle. I purchased an '08 Gary Fisher superfly hardtail and hit the trails non stop. After 4 years of 'pounding' on the hardtail I bought a '12 full suspension Superfly 100 Pro. (I gotta tell ya, this bike makes even an old man a decent rider) XC singletrack riding is my favorite. Over the years I have ridden many epic trails such as Bent Creek, Tsali, Dupont, Kerr Scott Reservoir, FATS, Shingle Mills, the "Big M" as well as numerous other trails in Michigan and Ontario, Canada. All trails are good - some are just better than others. Am I the fastest on the trail? NO. Am I the slowest on the trail? NO. I'm probably somewhere in the middle as far as speed and technical skill level goes but the main thing is the enjoyment, fun and the comradeship that mtb provides - not to mention bumping up the fitness level. What's really cool for me is the fact that I bike faster and better each year!

You have many, many years of fun biking ahead of you. Enjoy!
ironhead700 offline

Postby blundar » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:19 pm

When I was in high school and college I rode almost every day in Boston (commuting in heavy city traffic). Back then I was riding on several 10 speed road bikes. After college I did go through a bunch of years of moving all over the country and ended up not riding at all. I noticed that I still was doing all of my own bike maintenance even though I was still not riding. I really did miss riding.

I finally ended up settling in Connecticut and decided to transition to a hybrid rigid bike. I rode the hell out of that bike. Most of it was on easy walking trails, fire access roads, and on suburban streets. I found some really nice bike parks in CT where mountain bikes where tearing up the technical trails, so I decided to hit those with my hybrid bike. Little did I know that riding that rigid frame bike at such rough off-road and technical riding conditions, ended up catapulting my MTB riding skills and fitness level way beyond anything I could of ever imagined.

I did pause riding for around 6 years again and ended up moving to Iowa. I once again found that I really missed riding. This time I had a tiny bit more cash available and purchased a full suspension bike (Airborne Zeppelin Elite). I am riding the hell out of this bike too, and I ended up upgrading some of the components so it now really fits my style. Bikes sure have come a long way by leaps and bounds. I am now able to ride much more technical trails with almost effortless ease compared to my older rigid frame bike. No complaints, that old bike really upped my skills so that I can now confidently ride anything almost anywhere... :D

Now-a-days I am focusing more on the fitness side, and the fun of traveling to as many different bike parks as I can. DUDE!! I just hit 49 years old and I am feeling so much healthier and stronger than ever now that I am riding again.
blundar offline

Postby pepperbiker1 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:27 pm

40 :roll: Hell,I went back to Mt biking full time 2 years ago after a short layoff.I'm 55 now and having a blast!We have some awesome single track In NW Montana and I'm feeling braver than I was a kid.GET GOOD BRAKES!
pepperbiker1 offline

Postby Greg Heil » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:02 pm

pepperbiker1 wrote:40 :roll: Hell,I went back to Mt biking full time 2 years ago after a short layoff.I'm 55 now and having a blast!We have some awesome single track In NW Montana and I'm feeling braver than I was a kid.GET GOOD BRAKES!

Nw Montana? Whereabouts do you live? I lived in the Kalispell area for about a year and a half.
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby Poimein » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:16 pm

Go for it. Just got back from 18+ mile ride on new trail. Started at 53, now 61 and riding best I ever have. Can often keep up with and even pass guys in their 20's & 30's. The sights, the sounds, the opportunity to think, being with friends, enjoying the beauty of God's creation - makes it all worthwhile. Road with 67 year old today and he's still loving it.
Poimein offline

Postby Bubblehead10MM » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:02 pm

45 here and just started last year on single track and the year before on a hybrid streeter. I've broken a few bones, mostly ribs, so try not to do that, but it's just to much fun. I'd rather rip up hill then down, Then I feel like I did something, and not almost died. :lol:
Trying to "fill the unforgiving Minute"
"We have not journeyed across the centuries, across the oceans, across the mountains, across the prairies, because we are made of sugar candy." W. Churchill
Bubblehead10MM offline

Postby thefox » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:13 am

All your comments are just so encouraging. Great to hear there are so many mid-life mtb'ers out there, all thoroughly enjoying yourselves.

I am now off to my first trail centre weekend with an old friend of mine. I can't wait. I will try to keep my ribs and clavicles in one piece if I can !
thefox offline

Postby CraigCreekRider » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:38 pm

mtbgreg1 wrote:
SCHucker wrote:Image
This sums it all up!!!!

Nice, I dig that photo!!

Same here. Who came up with that one?
CraigCreekRider offline

Postby Flounder » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:31 pm

46 Fat and happy. 260 lbs ride a giant xtc291 hard tail keep an eye on heart rate. Ride single track till I die.
Pissed wasted 20 years chasing the wrong high. Get out and ride. Keep within your limits and paddle like hell.
Flounder offline

Postby maddslacker » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:45 pm

CraigCreekRider wrote:
mtbgreg1 wrote:
SCHucker wrote:Image
This sums it all up!!!!

Nice, I dig that photo!!

Giant did:
Come chat about mountain bikes in real time!
http://gotslack.freeshell.org/mtb

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby markl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:42 am

Don't ever think you are too old. I am 61 and have been riding for about 20+ years. I planned to enter a MASS race this past March but back surgery put that on hold but I looking forward to next season. Too old....never! Just go and have fun at your own pace.

Mark
markl offline

Postby Greg Heil » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:22 pm

maddslacker wrote:
CraigCreekRider wrote:
mtbgreg1 wrote:
Nice, I dig that photo!!

Giant did:

I was checking out the suspension design on the MTBs and thinking, "that looks like a Giant." :)
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

PreviousNext
36 postsPage 2 of 31, 2, 3