I am new around here

Are you new to mountain biking? Drop in and introduce yourself and say hello & get your MTB newb questions answered here.
17 postsPage 1 of 21, 2
I am new around here

Postby championstuff » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:41 am

Hi everyone, I am new around here. I found the site while looking for trails in my area, and I liked the forums, so I joined up.

I am a beginner. A buddy of mine encouraged me to check out a ride with him sometime, but I am about half a foot taller than him, so I couldn't use one of his bikes because they would have been too small for me, so I got my own. I know people do not have many nice things to say about big box store bikes, but due to financial constraints, I went with a mongoose xr 200. I read a bunch of reviews and one that was over at mtbr forum and decided on that one. There are some parts that I am going to change out (pedals and saddle) but I think that it will be ok. Please be gentle with my choice, it is what I could afford to get me on the road/trails. I can upgrade later.

I really enjoy riding and hope to meet other people in my area when I am out and about.

Thank you for having such a good resource!
championstuff offline

Re: I am new around here

Postby Greg Heil » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:22 am

Welcome aboard, man! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby robames » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:30 am

Hi!
I am new here as well, and would like to say welcome! Your doing it right man, if your main goal is to get out and ride! Don't worry about whats underneath you for now, just pedal! Finding this sport has been a blessing for me, all the stress and worries fade away out there, I hope it does the same for you! Happy trails!
Rob "trying to keep my face off the handlebars" Ames
robames offline

Postby ScribbleJ » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:39 pm

That makes three of us. I found this site while looking for new trials myself. I'm glad I stumbled on it. I love it. I even bought the app for my iPhone; although I use MapMyRide to keep a journal for my rides/workouts, I like the Singletracks App to give me other goals with the badges to shoot for. This forum is a huge plus :!: I hope to find some riding partners. I mostly trek it alone but it would make it so much more fun to have someone to ride with.

Keep at it championstuff. I took up MTBing early 2000 and have been hooked since then. It sure is better than running considering my 50 y.o. knees can't take the impact. To me MTBing is best for a cardio and a slight isometric upper body work out since I can't do any upper body strength training due to osteoarthritis in my neck and lower back.
ScribbleJ offline

Postby championstuff » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:44 pm

thanks for the replies, this place just gets better and better. i also have the app for my iphone, but it is the light version, i will probably spring for the pay version. i picked up some gear today, new giro helmet, some fox gloves and novara mtb shorts with chamoise inside of it for comfort. I'm all ready to hit the trails! now i gotta find a rack that will fit on my mustang. they have one that fits it without a spoiler, but mine has a spoiler on it. i'm sure it'll probably fit, if not I could return it.

I was thinking of getting one of the singletracks jerseys, anyone have one that could recommend on how the sizing works?
championstuff offline

Postby PSUtuna » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:13 am

Welcome to the site and the sport!
PSUtuna offline

Postby championstuff » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:30 pm

PSUtuna wrote:Welcome to the site and the sport!

thank you :D
championstuff offline

Postby CraigCreekRider » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:36 am

Yea man welcome aboard. Not many bike snobs on this site so ride what you got and enjoy.

You have the rest of your life to be obsessed with new bikes and gear. :lol:
CraigCreekRider offline

Postby Bubblehead10MM » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:32 am

Great to see you here. First bike should be cheap or else everything you'll ever want and you can't know what that'll be. :D
Not sure on the sizing. I have tshirts.
After you've played in the dirt, the road just sort of pails in comparison.
Trying to "fill the unforgiving Minute"
"We have not journeyed across the centuries, across the oceans, across the mountains, across the prairies, because we are made of sugar candy." W. Churchill
Bubblehead10MM offline

Postby championstuff » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:23 am

I'm going to hit some trails on friday with a friend of mine in kirkland washington. i also want to hit paradise valley.

Is it common to hit trails by yourself? I could ride trails by myself all the time if that is common.
championstuff offline

Postby PSUtuna » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:20 am

championstuff wrote:Is it common to hit trails by yourself? I could ride trails by myself all the time if that is common.

It is not wise to ride alone. You never know when you might need a helping hand on the trail. I work a weird schedule and haven't had a weekend off in over a year, so I tend to ride a lot during the week when everyone else is working. I make sure before I go that I let at least two people know where I'm going. Then I let both people know when I make it off the trail.

IMO, it is common to ride alone, but be smart about it. Any chance I can get in the saddle, alone or not, I'm hitting the trail!
PSUtuna offline

Postby Greg Heil » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:54 am

I was thinking of getting one of the singletracks jerseys, anyone have one that could recommend on how the sizing works?

They run a bit on the small side. I wear a Medium t-shirt, but a Large Singletracks jersey.
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby dgaddis » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:05 am

PSUtuna wrote:
championstuff wrote:Is it common to hit trails by yourself? I could ride trails by myself all the time if that is common.

It is not wise to ride alone. You never know when you might need a helping hand on the trail. I work a weird schedule and haven't had a weekend off in over a year, so I tend to ride a lot during the week when everyone else is working. I make sure before I go that I let at least two people know where I'm going. Then I let both people know when I make it off the trail.

IMO, it is common to ride alone, but be smart about it. Any chance I can get in the saddle, alone or not, I'm hitting the trail!

^^He covered it pretty well. Sometimes if you're gonna ride, you gotta go by yourself or not at all. But be smart. Let people know where you're going and when you plan to be back, and ride more conservative than if you were with a group.
www.SouthernWheelworks.com - Custom wheels designed and built just for you, by hand.
dgaddis offline

Postby championstuff » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:13 am

took my bike for a spin tonight with my daughter and rode down to the waterfront which is like two miles away. a mile back and my handlebars came loose lol, had to walk a mile back. should always carry some tools with me, even if i am riding around my own town. guess it was better having that happen here then on a singletrack deep in the forest lol :lol:
championstuff offline

Postby championstuff » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:48 am

mtbgreg1 wrote:

They run a bit on the small side. I wear a Medium t-shirt, but a Large Singletracks jersey.

Thank you, I like how they look and think I will pick one up come payday.
championstuff offline

Next
17 postsPage 1 of 21, 2