RAIN?!

Georgia, North Carolina, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky, Virginia, and West Virginia mountain bike trails and conditions.
38 postsPage 2 of 31, 2, 3
Re: RAIN?!

Postby SCHucker » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:03 pm

PSUtuna wrote:Well, we've been dry for two days. I think it may take more than two for the local trails to dry up, but I see they are calling for 50% of rain on Thursday and 60% on Friday. Just my luck, my days off. lol. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one hating this weather right now. I really need to invest in a road/cyclocross bike. I don't like taking my mountain bikes on roads if I don't have to.

Unfortunately that Tropical Storm near FL is predicted to hit the SC coastline by Sunday/Monday, so most likely more rain on the way in the Upstate. Most likely what is swooping down from the NW will cause all the weather to stall over us again or just west of us in GA. Better GA than here though.... :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry you GA mountaineers.... :lol:

I know I am itching to ride again, but as 'PSUtuna' stated, going to take a few sunny days to dry the trails for shredding... :wink:
"I am what I am...I love gravity fed riding! Wherever I can Roll On and Over Gnarly Dirt, Fast DH Runs, Huck off, or the Urban Concrete Jungle, I am game and having fun."
SCHucker offline

Postby thisismyarizona » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:39 am

Monsoon time in Arizona makes for great riding. Very dry and dusty trails finally get some moisture and get that perfect tacky surface...just stomp on the pedals for climbs and dive into turns...no worries about traction. And the whole world turns green as everything soaks up the water. Of course it is a good idea to be off the trails when the lightning arrives. Ride early and ride often.
thisismyarizona offline

Postby dgaddis » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:50 am

Augusta is having flooding, like, real flooding, the Savannah River hasn't been this high since the 90s. The Corp. or Engineers has been releasing water from the three dams upstream of Augusta because all are approaching their maximum flood storage capacity. This time of year the river flow is typically 3,000cu.ft/sec the last couple of days it's been at 40,000cu.ft/sec !!!!!!

I'm glad I live on a hill!!

Here's a small idea of what we're dealing with. This is the 1st creek bed crossing on the Modoc trail, the water you see in these first 2 pictures is actually a lot more water than normal for this creek bed, which is dry more often than not.

This is the creek last Weds. The rock John is standing on the rock behind the bike in the pictures above.
www.SouthernWheelworks.com - Custom wheels designed and built just for you, by hand.
dgaddis offline

Postby PSUtuna » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:12 am

dgaddis wrote:Augusta is having flooding, like, real flooding, the Savannah River hasn't been this high since the 90s. The Corp. or Engineers has been releasing water from the three dams upstream of Augusta because all are approaching their maximum flood storage capacity. This time of year the river flow is typically 3,000cu.ft/sec the last couple of days it's been at 40,000cu.ft/sec !!!!!!

I'm glad I live on a hill!!

Here's a small idea of what we're dealing with. This is the 1st creek bed crossing on the Modoc trail, the water you see in these first 2 pictures is actually a lot more water than normal for this creek bed, which is dry more often than not.

This is the creek last Weds. The rock John is standing on the rock behind the bike in the pictures above.

I imagine on Turkey and Wine the creek has flooded the trail. :? Have you checked them out? This is getting ridiculous... 50%-80% chance of rain for the next week... again.
PSUtuna offline

Postby dgaddis » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:26 am

PSUtuna wrote:I imagine on Turkey and Wine the creek has flooded the trail. :? Have you checked them out? This is getting ridiculous... 50%-80% chance of rain for the next week... again.

No need to check, they have both without a doubt been underwater at some point, they flood even when the river isn't flooding. I imagine that both Turkey and Wine will be pretty well FUBAR'd, with several bridges missing. I'm scared of how badly damaged they may be...

Parts of Bartram were in the Lake also due it it being a little over 2ft above full pool. Yesterday morning the lake was 2.2ft above full pool, and the COE tested all 23 gates on the dam for about 2.5hrs I believe. This morning, after all that water was let out.....the lake was 2.16ft above full pool :lol:

We got some HEAVY rain last night, for a good 1.5hr or so. And yep, there's lots more on the way.

Really happy to have a roadie in the garage!
www.SouthernWheelworks.com - Custom wheels designed and built just for you, by hand.
dgaddis offline

Postby PSUtuna » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:21 pm

dgaddis wrote:
PSUtuna wrote:I imagine on Turkey and Wine the creek has flooded the trail. :? Have you checked them out? This is getting ridiculous... 50%-80% chance of rain for the next week... again.

No need to check, they have both without a doubt been underwater at some point, they flood even when the river isn't flooding. I imagine that both Turkey and Wine will be pretty well FUBAR'd, with several bridges missing. I'm scared of how badly damaged they may be...

Parts of Bartram were in the Lake also due it it being a little over 2ft above full pool. Yesterday morning the lake was 2.2ft above full pool, and the COE tested all 23 gates on the dam for about 2.5hrs I believe. This morning, after all that water was let out.....the lake was 2.16ft above full pool :lol:

We got some HEAVY rain last night, for a good 1.5hr or so. And yep, there's lots more on the way.

Really happy to have a roadie in the garage!

Damn, I didn't even think about Bartram. There are quite of few sections right on the lake that I'm sure are under water 2 feet above pool. I guess time will tell to see how bad Turkey and Wine are damaged.
PSUtuna offline

Postby Greg Heil » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:05 pm

I think I've ridden road bike once in the last almost two weeks... Excited to leave this dreary rainy weather behind as I hit the road :D
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby MTI » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:48 pm

I went for one 4 mile ride since Gregg's Dirty 30. My hips are going to hurt on my ride tomorrow. Going to do a gravel grinder as all our trails are still mud!
MTI offline

Postby dgaddis » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Found out today that part of Razors Edge (an alternate semi-technical side trail on the Canal Trail) has fallen off into the river. Hopefully it can be repaired....
dgaddis offline

Postby Greg Heil » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:54 am

dgaddis wrote:Found out today that part of Razors Edge (an alternate semi-technical side trail on the Canal Trail) has fallen off into the river. Hopefully it can be repaired....

Dang, craziness! Have you posted any photos to FB of the most recent flood waters?
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby CraigCreekRider » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:07 pm

mtbgreg1 wrote:This rain is getting depressing... wish we could share it with the water-starved west.

Counting down the days until I hit the road, headed for dryer (and higher) climes!

Yea we have had 10 inches of rain in July so far.

Greg, its funny that you have to go to Oregon to find dry trail. :lol:
CraigCreekRider offline

Postby Greg Heil » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:13 pm

CraigCreekRider wrote:
mtbgreg1 wrote:This rain is getting depressing... wish we could share it with the water-starved west.

Counting down the days until I hit the road, headed for dryer (and higher) climes!

Yea we have had 10 inches of rain in July so far.

Greg, its funny that you have to go to Oregon to find dry trail. :lol:

There's definitely none in the east, that's for sure! 0 chance of rain in the 10 day forecast for Bend :D
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby PSUtuna » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:11 pm

After hearing so many bad reports of the wet trails in our area, I've decided enough is enough!

So, for those that can't ride... we paddle! :lol:

http://app.strava.com/activities/67137252

No joke, it rained for at least a good two hours today...
PSUtuna offline

Postby SCHucker » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:17 pm

PSUtuna wrote:After hearing so many bad reports of the wet trails in our area, I've decided enough is enough!

So, for those that can't ride... we paddle! :lol:

http://app.strava.com/activities/67137252

No joke, it rained for at least a good two hours today...

We tried to go hiking today and hit up the cool mountain springs at Jones Gap, but it rained pretty hard all day long after 10am, so it we just went home bummed out again. It looks like it may dry out a bit this week for this coming weekend though. I guess we will see when that time comes.... :lol:

Hope ya had fun in the water! :mrgreen:
"I am what I am...I love gravity fed riding! Wherever I can Roll On and Over Gnarly Dirt, Fast DH Runs, Huck off, or the Urban Concrete Jungle, I am game and having fun."
SCHucker offline

Postby maddslacker » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:47 pm

We're finally getting some much needed rain here in Colorado. Trails will be dry by tomorrow though. :D
Come chat about mountain bikes in real time!
http://gotslack.freeshell.org/mtb

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

PreviousNext
38 postsPage 2 of 31, 2, 3