Front Range Trails

Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Alaska, Hawaii, and New Mexico mountain bike trails and conditions.
59 postsPage 2 of 41, 2, 3, 4
Re: Front Range Trails

Postby Gdb49 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:38 pm

mtbgreg1 wrote:
maddslacker wrote:
skibum wrote:Believe it or not, I've met a few people who don't get excited about Buff Creek and more than a few who don't like Hall Ranch.

I like Buff Creek, but it's by no means my favorite.

Totally agree with this right here. Pretty good? Sure. Best trail in the world? Hardly. But that's my 2 cents.

I would never imply Buffalo Creek was the best in the world.. I have only been riding for 8 months and have not ridden enough to even get in that discussion. When I read many of your post, I am not even in your league of riding or trail experience. When I was climbing I found that as you got to know the people who rated and reviewed the climbs, you found people that you tended to agree with their general descriptions and ratings. I have already found a few people on this site who have given great advice and when I read their ratings on rides it fits the way I found the ride. I have enjoyed every trail so far and figure if someone loved a trail the worst that could happen is riding a trail that you don't love. I will ride every trail list on this thread and probably find a few trails that make my week. My feelings are a little hurt that someone doesn't like Halls Ranch :) Hell, your post alone dwarf my riding by ten fold. With a job and 2 kids my time is limited and any help on great trails is appreciated. Wish I could quit my job and ride everyday, but the bank said no!
Gdb49 offline

Postby Greg Heil » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:44 pm

Gdb49 wrote:I would never imply Buffalo Creek was the best in the world..

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you implied that Buff Creek is the best, but it is ranked #1 in the world right here: http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bike/trails.php Lotsa people definitely love it.
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby Gdb49 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:54 pm

mtbgreg1 wrote:
Gdb49 wrote:I would never imply Buffalo Creek was the best in the world..

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you implied that Buff Creek is the best, but it is ranked #1 in the world right here: http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bike/trails.php Lotsa people definitely love it.

Didn't take it that way. I would say that in my very limited experience that the most fun I have had on a bike is on the Blackjack Trail. Stayed pumped for weeks afterwards. Can't wait for the trail that knocks it off the top of my list- what a great day that will be. Hope it happens many times!
Gdb49 offline

Postby Gdb49 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:08 am

While we are on great trails... What about ski resorts? Rode Winter Park and came home with a sore jaw from smiling so much, partly from wearing a full face helmet for the first time. Found some of the trails very intimidating, but thrilling. Lost count on how many crashes, so need some work on the skills. Thinking about a season pass for next year.
Gdb49 offline

Postby maddslacker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:14 am

If you liked Blackjack, definitely check out Dakota Ridge.
Come chat about mountain bikes in real time!
http://gotslack.freeshell.org/mtb

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby Gdb49 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:17 am

maddslacker wrote:If you liked Blackjack, definitely check out Dakota Ridge.

Is it still ridable this time of year?
Gdb49 offline

Postby maddslacker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:25 am

For the next hour or so :lol:

Tomorrow's snow should clear off in a few days and it will be ridable again.
Come chat about mountain bikes in real time!
http://gotslack.freeshell.org/mtb

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby Gdb49 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:29 am

maddslacker wrote:For the next hour or so :lol:

Tomorrow's snow should clear off in a few days and it will be ridable again.

Make it one of my next rides, thanks for the tip.
Gdb49 offline

Postby bonkedagain » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:14 pm

mtbgreg1 wrote:Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you implied that Buff Creek is the best, but it is ranked #1 in the world right here: http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bike/trails.php Lotsa people definitely love it.
Yeah, but it is really the Singletracks algorithm that results in it be ranked #1; a truly scientific survey would probably produce a completely different result. Gotta keep the salt shaker handy when looking at rankings like this one.
bonkedagain offline

Postby Greg Heil » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:19 pm

bonkedagain wrote:
mtbgreg1 wrote:Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you implied that Buff Creek is the best, but it is ranked #1 in the world right here: http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bike/trails.php Lotsa people definitely love it.
Yeah, but it is really the Singletracks algorithm that results in it be ranked #1; a truly scientific survey would probably produce a completely different result. Gotta keep the salt shaker handy when looking at rankings like this one.

I think the point that some people are trying to make is that there's no such thing as a "scientific" way to measure how good or how bad a mtb trail is because so much of it is personal preference.
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby Greg Heil » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:06 am

Speaking of Buffalo Creek, check out Part 1 of my reflections on the top 10 MTB trails: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-tr ... ld-part-1/
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby CraigCreekRider » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:10 am

mtbgreg1 wrote:I think the point that some people are trying to make is that there's no such thing as a "scientific" way to measure how good or how bad a mtb trail is because so much of it is personal preference.

Well said. Even my own personal favorite might change by next week. :lol:
CraigCreekRider offline

Postby Gdb49 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:04 pm

I don't disagree with the idea that we are all different and will like different trails, but I stand by the idea that if it thrills someone else, that at worst it will be an average ride for someone else. No matter what system you use someone will disagree, that doesn't stop it from being helpful to many of us. Also, read the thread that was linked from Greg's top 10 ride and whether or not those trails are still on your list or not, it was a great trip. I'm a little jealous! I'm going to ride all the trails listed on this thread and I'll bet it's a great experience. Hope my favorite trail changes everytime. Dakota ridge is first on the list of next rides. With all the riding some of you have done if you even liked a trail, I'll probably think it was amazing. Have not ridden outside of the Front Range area, but it sounds like I got lucky with location to start MTB riding. Appreciate all the feed back-learning everyday from this site.
Gdb49 offline

Postby John Fisch » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:48 am

mtbgreg1 wrote:
maddslacker wrote:
skibum wrote:Believe it or not, I've met a few people who don't get excited about Buff Creek and more than a few who don't like Hall Ranch.

I like Buff Creek, but it's by no means my favorite.

Totally agree with this right here. Pretty good? Sure. Best trail in the world? Hardly. But that's my 2 cents.

This all goes back the the "geographic skewing" of the ratings. A certain level of accessibility is required to ride a trail. We'd probably all put The Whole Enchilada and The Downieveille Downhill ahead of Buff Creek, but how often do we actually get to ride those? But Buff Creek is always there for us, without requiring us to take a week's vacation or dip into the kids college fund. Maybe it deserves extra points on that account.
John Fisch offline

Postby Gdb49 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:23 am

This all goes back the the "geographic skewing" of the ratings. A certain level of accessibility is required to ride a trail. We'd probably all put The Whole Enchilada and The Downieveille Downhill ahead of Buff Creek, but how often do we actually get to ride those? But Buff Creek is always there for us, without requiring us to take a week's vacation or dip into the kids college fund. Maybe it deserves extra points on that account.[/quote]
Great point. I have the Whoe Enchilada on the top of my list for the spring, so I'm glad to hear you rate it so highly. Looked crazy good on the video.
Gdb49 offline

PreviousNext
59 postsPage 2 of 41, 2, 3, 4