Moab vs Fruita?

Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Alaska, Hawaii, and New Mexico mountain bike trails and conditions.
19 postsPage 1 of 21, 2
Moab vs Fruita?

Postby Gdb49 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:01 pm

Have limited time and was trying to decide between Moab, Ut and Fruita, Co. Any thoughts from those of you who have been to both? Best time of the year? Looks like you can't go wrong in either spot. Always heard about Moab, but looking at Fruita made me question which is the bestspot.
Gdb49 offline

Re: Moab vs Fruita?

Postby John Fisch » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:53 pm

You truly can't go wrong in either spot.

Best time is spring or fall for either--almost identical weather between the two.

It would help if we knew what kind of rider you are and what type of riding you prefer--but then again, maybe it wouldn't--both places have a great array of rides covering all styles and every ability level.

A decade ago, I would have said Moab, hands down. Then Fruita came on real strong. A few years ago I was pretty solid in the Fruita camp, but Moab has added so much in the last few years, I refuse to choose.

I know I'm not being much help. How 'bout this: if you don't have time to do both, pick whichever one is easiest to get to from where you are--either that or flip a coin. There's really no wrong answer here.

Then resolve to come back again and do whichever one you didn't do this time!
John Fisch offline

Postby Gdb49 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:15 pm

I live in Colorado Springs and ride locally- toughest trail I've ridden and loved was Blackjack in Buffalo Creek. It challanged me to my max! As far as style I love everything, haven't met a trail I don't like. Leaning towards Fruita, but like your idea of just making 2 trips. Thanks for your input.
Gdb49 offline

Postby Tr0gd0r » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Gotta go with Fruita on this one (if you include the whole Grand Junciton area), it has more progressive, bike-specific trails than Moab (PBR at 18 mile road is the latest example of this). I love the classics in Moab as much as the next guy, I think Fruita's got it as far awesomeness per mile.
"I once took a seminar on ejecting chickens from a sand dune. The principle is essentially the same"
-Lt. Kif
Tr0gd0r offline

Postby stillfat » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Both are great. Fruita has more singletrack and in general, a more varied trail surface. 18 Road is truly unique while the Kokopelli area is more "Moabesque" as are some of the rim rides over in Rabbit Valley. Both are best in fall and spring, but if you're really pushing it early or late in the season, Moab is a bit drier and warmer than Fruita. If I had to choose, I'd say Fruita but very tough call.
stillfat offline

Postby CFM » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:30 pm

Tough call indeed. But as has been posted already . . . you can't go wrong with either one. If you are a person who likes to ride to the trails many of Moab's are easier to get to by bike than Fruita's. We also found good brewhouses in both towns for after ride drinks and bragging. Sounds like Fruita might be closer to home for you but not necessarily enough to completely cancel out Moab. Tough decision, good luck!
CFM offline

Postby Gdb49 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Can you still ride either of these trails this late in the season?
Gdb49 offline

Postby maddslacker » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:26 pm

Gdb49 wrote:Can you still ride either of these trails this late in the season?

It's hit or miss. Call a local shop for current info.

Fruita: http://otesports.com/locations/fruita/

Moab: http://chilebikes.com/site/
Come chat about mountain bikes in real time!
http://gotslack.freeshell.org/mtb

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby Adventurer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:06 pm

So are you aware there were 40 miles of singletrack added in 2011?
The Pipe Dream hangs on the west valley wall. It is sick! You will want to ride that one.

Also, this year another 40 miles has been completed.
The Magnificent 7 combines the idea of the old Gemini Bridges Road, but swerves onto some fabulous sections of single track.

The Klondike area has one parking lot with a whole lotta trail choices.

Go to Moab dudles.
Adventurer offline

Postby John Fisch » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:56 pm

Adventurer is right on--that's why I said I would have easily picked Fruita up until a couple years ago, but Moab has added so much since, and he didn't even mention my personal fave of the new, Deadman's Ridge, part of the new additions to the Brands Trails area or Dead Horse State Park, which is novice friendly but also crazy good fun for an advanced rider.

I loooooves me some PBR at 18 Road/Fruita, but that's just a couple miles compared to all the new stuff Moab has added.

But then again, all this talk about new stuff is pretty irrelevant--both places have far more than you could ride in a single trip, so don't sweat that.

GBD49,
I'm also a Springs guy and I'll definitely ditto your Blackjack experience. I ride the the black trails at Palmer Park and my fave on my end of town (SW) is the technical descent down Section 16, but nothing put the fear in me like Blackjack!

If you want a Blackjack-like experience that doesn't threaten to maim you and has really sweet flow, hit the Lunch Loops area between Grand Junction and Fruita and do Holy Cross--I've never heard an advanced rider not put that in at least his/her top 5.

But wait--you're a Springs guy--you definitely live close enough to hit both of these destinations without too much expenditure. Flip a coin and have a ball--then go back to the other at the earliest opportunity.

Besides, deciding which one to go to is just the start. Then you'll have to ask which specific trails to ride at your choice, and answering that won't be any easier!
John Fisch offline

Postby femerling » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:13 pm

because moab is the epicenter of the mtb universe, i go there first. also fall is better than spring due to the lower wind speed. i was in both in sept and they are both great so be sure to ultimately do both
femerling offline

Postby snillumdivad » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:26 am

I live in Moab. We just had the high school mtb state championships. 70 and sunny.All trails are open. MOAB Brand Trails, Klondike Trails, Mag7, Slickrock...etc. All trails are expanding with more trailheads all the time. Moab is still crowded with visitors.
snillumdivad offline

Postby Greg Heil » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:38 am

snillumdivad wrote:I live in Moab. We just had the high school mtb state championships. 70 and sunny.All trails are open. MOAB Brand Trails, Klondike Trails, Mag7, Slickrock...etc. All trails are expanding with more trailheads all the time. Moab is still crowded with visitors.

Is the Whole Enchilada back open?

If so, I suggest that the OP definitely hit the Whole Enchilada. One of the best experiences I've ever had on a mountain bike!

However, I assumed the top would be snowed in already?
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby beerdrinker » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:45 pm

The Whole Enchilada has been kaputt since late September. Weather was gorgeous up until yesterday and about a foot of snow fell overnight.
beerdrinker offline

Postby abegold » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:27 am

I like them both but prefer St George/Hurricane to either.
abegold offline

Next
19 postsPage 1 of 21, 2