Great New Ride -- Denied!

Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Alaska, Hawaii, and New Mexico mountain bike trails and conditions.
12 postsPage 1 of 1
Great New Ride -- Denied!

Postby John Fisch » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:30 pm

I have to travel between home in Colorado Springs and client work in Albuquerque about once per month. Whenever travel and work schedule allows, I bring the bike. Over the last two years, I've hit almost all the trails readily available between points.

Today was my day to rack up the last easily accessible trail--Glorieta Canyon and Glorieta Baldy, just off I-25 about 10 miles north of Santa Fe--an apparently wonderful route up a canyon, through a ghost town, up to a high ridge and unobscured peak with an abandoned forest service fire lookout tower, and then back down another canyon for 2,700 feet of screaming downhill.

To access the trail, one must pass through the Glorieta Baptist Convention Center, a sizeable complex between the interstate and the canyons. Apparently all one has to do is stop at the gate and tell them you're goint to the canyon and all is cool.

However, upon my arrival today, the gate through the complex to the trailhead was closed. No bother, I'll just ride the extra mile through the complex. A little pavement warmup never hurt anybody. However again, the gate contained a sign saying the "Glorieta Baptist Center has closed for the season" and that all traffic, be it motorized, foot, equestrian, or bike was forbidden from crossing through the private property.

D@mm!
:evil:

It looked like a small town, not somebody's private property. How bad would it be to let folks cross through? The sign said you could only enter as a resident of guest of a resident, so even though the convention facility was "closed," there were full-time residents on site, but nowhere in sight, and we had no way to contact them. It was more than a little disappointing to find that such a wonderful public resource could be so easily cut off.

Interestingly enough, I arrived just after three cars full of hikers who were from the local area and equally surprised to see the restriction. They spent some time discussing the merits of poaching and, in the end, two of them decided to go for it and the rest of the group departed, leaving one of the cars behind for their rogue friends.
Last edited by John Fisch on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Fisch offline

Re: Great New Ride -- Denied!

Postby fleetwood » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:38 pm

so how was the poach? :twisted:
fleetwood offline

Postby John Fisch » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:10 pm

Wish I knew. I'm guessing it would have been pretty sweet. I'm one of those squares who has high regard for private property, even if I don't agree with how it's used.

Hopefully those women enjoyed their hike and didn't encounter any "difficulty" along the way.
John Fisch offline

Postby maddslacker » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:20 am

man, even if they just left out a donation box and charged a buck for access ... it would be a win/win
Come chat about mountain bikes in real time!
http://gotslack.freeshell.org/mtb

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby Greg Heil » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:37 am

Dang that's frustrating. And there's no way at all to access the area from a different road?
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby Jared13 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Oh man, that sucks!

In this square's opinion, you made the right call. ;)
Jared13 offline

Postby John Fisch » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:05 pm

There are other ways to get on the trail, but they involve riding 20 miles of dirt road and a good deal of bushwhacking through abandoned or neglected trails. Then, once on top, you can only ride one canyon down, where the optimum route has you riding one cool canyon up and the next one down. Lastly, once you get down, you've got no way out but through the private property.

The real bummer of it all is I'll be moving to a different project which has me flying to Baltimore rather than driving through NM, so I may have lost my last free chance.
John Fisch offline

Postby John Fisch » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:25 pm

Update,
It's kind of a good news, bad news thing

Good news 1: I got put back on a project in ABQ
Good news 2: The private property necessary to access the trail was purchased and the new owner has allowed access for the months of June and July!

Bad news: On my June ABQ trip, the entire Las Vegas district of the Santa Fe National Forest was off limits due to extreme fire danger (in fact, so were the best rides outside of ABQ). This is not just a fire ban, but a ban on any human inhabitation.

So now, I have to hope the ban is lifted before the easement period ends AND that my next trip falls between those two events. I'd love to share this route with the Singletracks community if it proves to be as cool as it sounds.

On a related note, the Black Forest fire NE of Colorado Springs has already destroyed more homes than last year's devastating Waldo Canyon fire. Other fires are doing damage in Rocky National Park and the Royal Gorge region. Colorado is having another rough go this year despite a slightly better snow year and a much cooler, wetter spring than last year.
John Fisch offline

Postby Greg Heil » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:28 am

Re: trail access: I hope you get to check out this trail, I'd love to hear about it in more detail!

skibum wrote:
On a related note, the Black Forest fire NE of Colorado Springs has already destroyed more homes than last year's devastating Waldo Canyon fire. Other fires are doing damage in Rocky National Park and the Royal Gorge region. Colorado is having another rough go this year despite a slightly better snow year and a much cooler, wetter spring than last year.

Dang, I'm so sorry to hear that! Can you basically count on there being at least one bad, destructive wildfire per year in CO... if not more?

Also, it seems like I always hear about them right on the front range. Is that just because there are so many people that live on the front range, because the conditions are that much dryer there, or some combination of the above? And are fires nearly as prevalent the deeper you go into the rockies, west of the front range?
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby PSUtuna » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:56 pm

Jared13 wrote:Oh man, that sucks!

In my opinion, I can ride faster than I Baptist can run! :lol:

...but yeah, that sucks man...
PSUtuna offline

Postby gar29 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:22 pm

PSUtuna wrote:
Jared13 wrote:Oh man, that sucks!

In my opinion, I can ride faster than I Baptist can run! :lol:

...but yeah, that sucks man...

Just remember, you don't have to be the fastest rider, just not the slowest! Image
--------
"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"
Albert Einstein
gar29 offline

Postby CraigCreekRider » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:53 am

Getting back to the original subject somewhat, we have 2 trails in our area now that have the same issue. There is a small amount of private land you must cross to get to the public land. In both cases, new property owners raised a stink and decided that no one would cross their land. In one case there is a way around, but it is by locals only knowledge (non-formal trail). In the other case the 18 mile loop is now a hard 12 mile out and back. I think the moral of the story is to try and keep the trails on public land, but it is just not always possible.
CraigCreekRider offline

12 postsPage 1 of 1