Colorado Springs

Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Alaska, Hawaii, and New Mexico mountain bike trails and conditions.
12 postsPage 1 of 1
Colorado Springs

Postby jayness512 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:57 pm

Im going to Colorado Springs next week and have never ridden outside of Texas. Whats the best cross country trail in that area? The Falcon Trail is close by my hotel and looks like a great ride.
jayness512 offline

Re: Colorado Springs

Postby bulfers » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:42 pm

The Falcon Trail is an awesome ride. Just did the whole loop for the first time last Saturday. There are a couple of short stretches that are quite sandy right now but otherwise the trail was in good condition. It has a couple of pretty long climbs so if you are not used to the elevation you may want to avoid it.

I hear Rampart Resivor was a pretty good trail as well, however, I never made it up there before the fire and I am not sure if the trail has reopened yet or what type of condition it is in.
bulfers offline

Postby HardrockproDH » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:40 pm

If you want some of the best you need to go riding around rampart reservoir. I used to ride there all the time until I moved. Its about 11 miles around the lake and its perfect not difficult and not too easy. If you have good lunges and muscles you can crank it out in about hour and 25 minutes. I highly recommend this trail.
HardrockproDH offline

Postby jayness512 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:24 pm

thanks I'll check them both out.
jayness512 offline

Postby maddslacker » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:30 am

Didn't Rampart get closed due to the Waldo Canyon Fire?

+1 for Falcon Trail.
Come chat about mountain bikes in real time!
http://gotslack.freeshell.org/mtb

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby John Fisch » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:08 am

According to the Forest Service webpage, Rampart is indeed closed. No reopening date has been scheduled :( .
John Fisch offline

Postby phillynot » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:07 am

Rampart Reservoir is indeed and definitely closed, as I drove out there 2 days ago and the road was blocked off. They are doing renovations for a while - no mountain biking for now.
phillynot offline

Postby phillynot » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:12 am

One more thing. . .I'm from out of state, but there is a book named "Mountain Biking Colorado Springs" by Falcon at both Criterium Bicycles and REI that is spectacular and FAR more helpful than web searches. I know Criterium has a stack at their front desk and it's worth it's weight in gold.
phillynot offline

Postby maddslacker » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:54 am

+1 for the Falcon Guides. When I go to a new area, I like to read that, even if I just get it from the library. Then I use sites like Singletracks to fine tune the info.
Come chat about mountain bikes in real time!
http://gotslack.freeshell.org/mtb

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby jeff » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:43 am

phillynot wrote:One more thing. . .I'm from out of state, but there is a book named "Mountain Biking Colorado Springs" by Falcon at both Criterium Bicycles and REI that is spectacular and FAR more helpful than web searches.

Really? They must've updated it! I moved to COS in 2000 and was pretty disappointed with this book. Seemed like half the rides weren't singletrack and were located in Cañon City.
SINGLETRACKS.COM || Bike the net
jeff offline
Site Admin

Postby bonkedagain » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:56 pm

jeff wrote:
phillynot wrote:One more thing. . .I'm from out of state, but there is a book named "Mountain Biking Colorado Springs" by Falcon at both Criterium Bicycles and REI that is spectacular and FAR more helpful than web searches.

Really? They must've updated it! I moved to COS in 2000 and was pretty disappointed with this book. Seemed like half the rides weren't singletrack and were located in Cañon City.

I have to agree with Jeff on that one. The last copy of the book that I saw was ancient and effectively useless. I would use the trail finder on this web-site.
bonkedagain offline

Postby John Fisch » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:05 pm

The Falcon Guide was updated, but is still not the best resource.

Check this site for the following trails:

Cheyenne Mountain State Park
Red Rock Canyon Open Space
Ute Valley Park
Buckhorn/Captain Jack's
Stratton/The Chutes
Spruce Mountain

All are in or close to town and the descriptions should give you a pretty good idea of what you're up against. Or PM one of us locals to see if we're free to play tour guide.
John Fisch offline

12 postsPage 1 of 1