Thinking of switching back to platform

Brakes, bike shocks, derailleurs, drive components, wheels, pedals, tires, helmets, tools, cycling computers, jerseys, shorts, shoes, rocket boosters, and many more! Discuss your mountain bike accessories & parts here.
26 postsPage 2 of 21, 2
Re: Thinking of switching back to platform

Postby gar29 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:37 pm

So I've noticed everyone seems to love the Sam Hill FiveTens. Is there a particular model that works best? A checked Amazon and realized they have a decent selection of different models. I was a bit surprised to see they are over $100.
--------
"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"
Albert Einstein
gar29 offline

Postby JT Orlando » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:48 pm

Right now is a good time to buy FiveTens from Pricepoint.com. My roommate finally hooked himself up with a pair this week.

I highly recommend Freeriders or Spitfires. They're just more comfy than the other 510s I've had (and I've been through a couple pairs of different models.) Pricepoint is selling white tiger Freeriders for only $79.99 right now and only have a few sizes left in stock: http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Five-Ten/Five-Ten-Freerider-Shoes.axd

They're also selling the Spitfire model for $89.99 (Plus $10 off for their promo they're running right now.)
JT Orlando offline

Postby JSatch » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:57 pm

gar29 wrote:So I've noticed everyone seems to love the Sam Hill FiveTens. Is there a particular model that works best? A checked Amazon and realized they have a decent selection of different models. I was a bit surprised to see they are over $100.

initially people went towards waffle bottoms (as in vans) to hold the pegs, but with the advent of 5.10 rubber (designed originally for mtn climbers) that started the new direction. not only better sticky rubber, but lasts a heck of a lot longer than the vans waffle soles too. so 5.10 modded their ascent shoes that bikers were using to be more bike specific.

the model depends on the riding you're doing. if you are doing hard core dh, the impacts have more protection from getting shredded. sort of body armor for your feet. if you're not wearing body armor, this may be overkill. otherwise any of the other selections in the 5.10 bike section are good with basically the same pin holding rubber.

i have a pair of these and they work great (and i paid more). and they are lighter than my impacts.
http://shopfiveten.com/P-4059040010041/ ... QgodUWAA3A

the signature models are fancier, but don't seem to add much if anything other than bling. not that that's not important. the sam hill i believe is a version of the impact model, for example.
JSatch offline

Postby gar29 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks for the input, guys! I wear size 13, looks like the sale shoes are basically out in my size. I'm pretty used to that, though. I can rarely find shoes at the LBS.
--------
"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"
Albert Einstein
gar29 offline

Postby Gdb49 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:18 pm

jtorlando25 wrote:Right now is a good time to buy FiveTens from Pricepoint.com. My roommate finally hooked himself up with a pair this week.

I highly recommend Freeriders or Spitfires. They're just more comfy than the other 510s I've had (and I've been through a couple pairs of different models.) Pricepoint is selling white tiger Freeriders for only $79.99 right now and only have a few sizes left in stock: http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Five-Ten/Five-Ten-Freerider-Shoes.axd

They're also selling the Spitfire model for $89.99 (Plus $10 off for their promo they're running right now.)

Thanks for the heads up on this deal, just bought a pair of the Freeriders!
Gdb49 offline

Postby JT Orlando » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:41 pm

Gdb49 wrote:
jtorlando25 wrote:Right now is a good time to buy FiveTens from Pricepoint.com. My roommate finally hooked himself up with a pair this week.

Thanks for the heads up on this deal, just bought a pair of the Freeriders!

Sweet! you won't regret that purchase I promise!
JT Orlando offline

Postby targhee72 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:36 am

Hey Brother Had The Same Feeling You Did About Being Clipped In. There Is A Mountain Bike Trainer In Grand Junction Co That Will Show You The Pro's Of Flats...He' At Bikejames.Com....Its A Real Eye Opener also At Mtb strength training systems..Ride Safe
targhee72 offline

Postby ichibaneye » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:57 am

I switched back to platform pedals and have become even better on my bike not to mention being able to adjust my foot positioning for comfort and need. As for slipping issues with the correct pedal you will have zero. I use the specialized Bennies platform pedal, they have a huge contact area, not heavy and use many pins for grip. You can ride these with any shoe and have no issues slipping off of them dry or wet. In fact once I started riding with my five ten shoes I had to make sure to completely lift my foot off of the pedal to adjust it's position. You can point your toes strait down or heels all the way back and stay suck to these pedals. The best switch and purchase I ever made hands down.
ichibaneye offline

Postby GTXC4 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:35 am

I got a nice clip-pedal/shoe Shimano setup at the beginning of the year. Practiced, and I liked it. Rode at a place by the in-laws where there were downed trees after a storm and cleared every single one of them. I thought/felt that some aspects of the clips were nice. BUT, it felt that I sacrificed all other aspects just for being able to pull the bike up higher off the ground. Not too mention, my shoes were so close to the bike. Didn't feel natural. So after a couple of months, I ditched them.

I put my platforms back on and now I'm researching for some great ones (actually looking for opinions around here). Flats are just better, in my opinion. I ride with people who have clips and I have no issues keeping up, much less passing them. Your skill level and technique become much better than that of those who ride only clips. My cornering for one, has always been much faster in flats than clips just to give you an example. As for hopping, bunny hops, whipping the tail ...etc, you'll get that part down through practice. Besides, it's more fun riding flats and although I didn't wreck in my clips... I didn't want it to be worse because of it. I've been pretty successful, lucky, and/or blessed with my evasive skills to not eat nature on the way down. I think you should go to flats.
2011 Fuel EX 9/8
Don't worry, I got all the cobwebs.
GTXC4 offline

Postby Gdb49 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:41 am

I absolutely love my Straightline Flats!!! Add 5-10 shoes and you mine as well be clipped in- it's that good.
Gdb49 offline

Postby SCHucker » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:54 am

Flats are the way, the truth, the life for shredding... :mrgreen: Anything else just doesn't do! :wink:
"I am what I am...I love gravity fed riding! Wherever I can Roll On and Over Gnarly Dirt, Fast DH Runs, Huck off, or the Urban Concrete Jungle, I am game and having fun."
SCHucker offline

Previous
26 postsPage 2 of 21, 2