Endurance Training

Discuss or need help with riding skills or techniques, then post your questions here. Discuss your tips on getting buff for mountain bike races and improving your speed. Find out about nutrition, workouts, and drills you can use to dominate the local bike race circuit!
170 postsPage 1 of 121, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12
Endurance Training

Postby MTI » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:29 pm

OK I know there is a separate area for training however, if anyone likes my idea we can work on the training page but I figured it would be good to start in the General Discussion since everyone goes to this board first.

Lots of goals were set for 2013 and multiple riders included Endurance Races. I for one am going to sign up for the Cohutta 100 in a week or so when I know I have that weekend free for sure, 12 hours at Tsali (probably 6 hr solo) and another later in the year. Is anyone interested in a thread about progress made in training? Jeff had a good write up last year for his enduro training for the Cohutta 100. We can exchange how we are doing miles, hours in the saddle, nutrition. Sure we can read what the pro's do but let's face it, many of us don't have the time to follow many of their strict regiments. Just a thought. If riders are interested, either I or someone else can kind of just start with our starting stats and what we do on a daily basis on and off the bike. If there is not any interest I will feel like :oops: for writing this?
MTI offline

Re: Enduro Training

Postby UltimateTherapy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:47 am

I am in.

I just completed my first of what I hope to be three rides at the The Snake Creek Gap TT. I did the 34 mile route. I am on the waiting list for the Big Frog 65. FYI, the Cohutta 100 and Big Frog 65 are closed for sign ups, but you can get on the waiting list.

I just went out yesterday and bought some lights, so I am trying to step up my training. I have only been doing longer races since this past summer, so any adice/help I can get would be awesome. None of my regular riding buddies are interested.

Right now, my training consist of mtb'ing and P90X and eating well. I did not have a road bike nor a indoor trainer. I will throw in a trail run if time is tight.
UltimateTherapy offline

Re: Endurance Training

Postby mtbgreg1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 am

Changed the title from "Enduro" training to "Endurance" training, as enduro is something entirely different.

I am doing the Cohutta 100 as well, and thankfully I've already signed up and have a spot! Already 2 weeks into my training plan. Last long ride was 36 miles, and I'm planning on having my weekly long ride peak at 85-87 miles. After that, two weeks of taper before the race!

In addition to slowly building up my weekly long ride, I'm planning on commuting to school twice a week (22 miles and 2,300ish feet of climbing round trip) and at least 1 mtb night ride per week. Also working on calisthenics, especially core, and running once a week as cross training.

I built my training plan based around my schedule, and based on the great recommendations that Jeff made in this blog post: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-tr ... finishers/

Also, if anyone wants to follow along on my progress, here's my Strava: http://app.strava.com/athletes/328001 If anyone else is training for Cohutta, I'd be interested in following you back!!
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
mtbgreg1 offline
Site Moderator

Postby dgaddis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:50 am

UltimateTherapy wrote:I am in.

I just completed my first of what I hope to be three rides at the The Snake Creek Gap TT. I did the 34 mile route. I am on the waiting list for the Big Frog 65. FYI, the Cohutta 100 and Big Frog 65 are closed for sign ups, but you can get on the waiting list...

Slightly off topic, but how'd you do at the Snake? Conditions were pretty good this weekend, I had a decent ride. Didn't feel that great, and did a lot of walking (stupid singlespeed :lol: ), but managed to finish in 4:33 which is 45 minutes faster than my best from last year. Still lots of room for improvement for sure though, hope to knock another 15minutes off next month!

Good luck to everyone doing Big Frog/Cohutta. Had the worst bonk of my life at Big Frog a few years ago, took me over 9hrs to finish. Worst day I've ever had on the bike. Part of me wants to go back for redemption....
www.SouthernWheelworks.com - Custom wheels designed and built just for you, by hand.
dgaddis offline

Postby mtbgreg1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:51 am

dgaddis wrote:
UltimateTherapy wrote:I am in.

I just completed my first of what I hope to be three rides at the The Snake Creek Gap TT. I did the 34 mile route. I am on the waiting list for the Big Frog 65. FYI, the Cohutta 100 and Big Frog 65 are closed for sign ups, but you can get on the waiting list...

Slightly off topic, but how'd you do at the Snake? Conditions were pretty good this weekend, I had a decent ride. Didn't feel that great, and did a lot of walking (stupid singlespeed :lol: ), but managed to finish in 4:33 which is 45 minutes faster than my best from last year. Still lots of room for improvement for sure though, hope to knock another 15minutes off next month!

Good luck to everyone doing Big Frog/Cohutta. Had the worst bonk of my life at Big Frog a few years ago, took me over 9hrs to finish. Worst day I've ever had on the bike. Part of me wants to go back for redemption....

Do the Cohutta with us!!

And congrats on the great finish at the Snake!
mtbgreg1 offline
Site Moderator

Postby dgaddis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:55 am

mtbgreg1 wrote:Do the Cohutta with us!!

Eh. Lotta $$ to ride a lot of gravel, and it's all sold out already anyways. I am planning on doing a few 6hr solos this year, as well as Fools Gold 50 and/or Black Bear Ramapage (all the fun stuff of Cohutta without all the gravel filler).
www.SouthernWheelworks.com - Custom wheels designed and built just for you, by hand.
dgaddis offline

Postby mtbgreg1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:59 am

dgaddis wrote:
mtbgreg1 wrote:Do the Cohutta with us!!

Eh. Lotta $$ to ride a lot of gravel, and it's all sold out already anyways. I am planning on doing a few 6hr solos this year, as well as Fools Gold 50 and/or Black Bear Ramapage (all the fun stuff of Cohutta without all the gravel filler).

Something magical about that 100 number though!

I was throwing around the idea of just putting together my own dirty century, but eventually decided to just sign up for the Cohutta for the extra incentive, people to ride with, and convenience of aid stations and sag drops
mtbgreg1 offline
Site Moderator

Postby Spartan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:48 pm

[/quote]

Eh. Lotta $$ to ride a lot of gravel, and it's all sold out already anyways. I am planning on doing a few 6hr solos this year, as well as Fools Gold 50 and/or Black Bear Ramapage (all the fun stuff of Cohutta without all the gravel filler).[/quote]

Dgaddis, do the Blankets Creek race to sunset. Its glorious! http://mountaingoatadventures.com/blankets6hour
Spartan offline

Postby dgaddis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:07 pm

Cool. Still haven't made it to Blankets yet, this is a good excuse. It's on the calendar!
dgaddis offline

Postby MTI » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:29 pm

Well i guess I will get on the wating list for the Cohutta 100. I did not know it would fill up so fast. I just found out that I do have that weekend free. I guess I will shoot for the ORAMM (Off Road Assault on Mount Mitchell). It is a 63 mile course but real technical so I hear. Gregg are you going to move this to the appropriate section or keep it here for a little longer so more people see it? My bad putting "Enduro Training" thanks for the change in subject. I'll be looking forward to see what others are doing. I also read all of Jeff's recommendations for last year. If anyone wants to go ride a little of the Cohutta Course I'd be interested in going I've never been to the Tanasi area before.
MTI offline

Postby mtbgreg1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:39 pm

MTI wrote:Gregg are you going to move this to the appropriate section

Done. Left a shadow topic too.

Let's keep this thread alive... looking forward to hearing how everyone's training goes!!
mtbgreg1 offline
Site Moderator

Postby MTI » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:50 pm

Ultimate Therapy
I signed up on waiting list and it indicates that the fee is $0.00 until they send an e-mail and than I pay the fee. However, I ended up on the checkout page with a $146.00 total. Did you have to pay to get on the waiting list I am a bit confused?
MTI offline

Postby dgaddis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:59 pm

Just an FYI, ORAMM is one of, if not THE, hardest mtn bike races in the southeast. 1 Pisgah mile = 1.5-2 miles anywhere else.

100 mile Cohutta is easier than the 63 mile ORAMM I'd imagine.
dgaddis offline

Postby MTI » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:05 pm

I just set up my Garmin Connect account for my Edge 800 so I'll put the link up there in the next day or two. I had a 12+ mile ride at Jackrabbit on Saturday...mostly and a 13.5 mile ride yesterday with 1,115 feet of elevation gain but it was mostly on a paved road as the weather was rotten but I figured I better ride some in the rain.

My plan is for January to just get my legs back to where they were in Oct/Nov 2012 and build up my weekly long ride to 50 miles by the end of January which will be no problem. If the weather continues as it has been...rain I will have to focus on old logging roads as I don't like ruining the singletrack in the mud. Tsali is getting beat up enough! Beginning in February I am going to increase my weekly long rides by about 5 miles per week to 70 miles by the beginning of March. I'll decide what to do from there.

In between lots of push ups, pull ups, sit ups, sit ups, sit ups...Did I say sit ups? One of the most neglected excersices for MTB'ing. I will include weekly updates with my Garmin Connect Link. Thanks for the interest!

Oh an dgaddis I know ORAMM is hell...my weakness is Tech Riding buy I am working on it. I did Kitsuma 3 times in one day a few years ago and I regretted it!
MTI offline

Postby mtbgreg1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:25 pm

MTI wrote:I just set up my Garmin Connect account for my Edge 800 so I'll put the link up there in the next day or two. I had a 12+ mile ride at Jackrabbit on Saturday...mostly and a 13.5 mile ride yesterday with 1,115 feet of elevation gain but it was mostly on a paved road as the weather was rotten but I figured I better ride some in the rain.

My plan is for January to just get my legs back to where they were in Oct/Nov 2012 and build up my weekly long ride to 50 miles by the end of January which will be no problem. If the weather continues as it has been...rain I will have to focus on old logging roads as I don't like ruining the singletrack in the mud. Tsali is getting beat up enough! Beginning in February I am going to increase my weekly long rides by about 5 miles per week to 70 miles by the beginning of March. I'll decide what to do from there.

In between lots of push ups, pull ups, sit ups, sit ups, sit ups...Did I say sit ups? One of the most neglected excersices for MTB'ing. I will include weekly updates with my Garmin Connect Link. Thanks for the interest!

Oh an dgaddis I know ORAMM is hell...my weakness is Tech Riding buy I am working on it. I did Kitsuma 3 times in one day a few years ago and I regretted it!

Nice! Looking forward to checking out the rides!

I did 36 miles down in Atlanta on Friday with jeff & a couple of friends. Rode yesterday and ended up doing 25 miles as well (wasn't planning on that many). Fun times though! http://app.strava.com/activities/36405173
mtbgreg1 offline
Site Moderator

Next
170 postsPage 1 of 121, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12