Caboose roll call!

General mountain bike discussion lounge. Drop in and introduce yourself!
12 postsPage 1 of 1
Caboose roll call!

Postby ninjajody » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:58 pm

Curious to see how many will actually stand and be counted...
I am coming up on my second year catching the fever that is MTBing and been riding with a club as of 6 months ago. I thought I had gotten into good shape riding alone, but only after joining my riding group, I realized how much work I still need to do. I do great the first 2/3 of rides, like clock work, I fatigue and everyone slowly starts to pull away. I ride 2-3 times a week now...just wondering how long it took you guys to keep up wit the pack. :oops:
The club I ride with are great guys, just getting a little embarrassed cause I feel I am holding them up at times.
ninjajody offline

Re: Caboose roll call!

Postby CFM » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:13 pm

As you are finding out cycling is an accumulative sport. The more years you do it regularly the more residual strength you possess as a cyclist. Sounds like you have found a great group to ride with. Don't feel bad about holding anyone up, just ride to your ability and enjoy it. I suspect the other members of the group are happy that you have "caught the fever" and glad to see you get stronger as time goes on.
CFM offline

Postby maddslacker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:30 pm

I've been riding 8 years and I still bring up the rear.
Come chat about mountain bikes in real time!
http://gotslack.freeshell.org/mtb

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby CraigCreekRider » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:47 pm

maddslacker wrote:I've been riding 8 years and I still bring up the rear.

Right back there with you madd........

Its not a big deal, just have fun.
CraigCreekRider offline

Postby revans1961 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:39 pm

Im still pretty new about two years and it took a lot of pain not just cruising but pushing myself harder every time I remember feeling like I was going to have a heart attack . Now its not a problem I the one waiting for others to catch up.
revans1961 offline

Postby John Fisch » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:59 pm

My solution is simple
I just volunteer to lead a novice-level ride! :mrgreen:
John Fisch offline

Postby fleetwood » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:32 pm

In my small group I used to be in the front, and now am usually closer to the rear. Those young bucks got faster, and I got slower. I still have a blast though, and that is all that matters to me.
fleetwood offline

Postby Gdb49 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:54 pm

In Colorado Springs. Is there a MTB club or riding group? How do you find and hook up with a riding group?
Gdb49 offline

Postby dgaddis » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:40 am

Gdb49 wrote:In Colorado Springs. Is there a MTB club or riding group? How do you find and hook up with a riding group?

Check with local bike shops, many will host a weekly ride. Also google for local advocacy clubs, most will have a forum and people will post rides there.

I'm usually either off the front or off the back, depending on who I'm riding with. I'm sort of stuck in the middle, can't keep up with the really fast guys, but can usually keep out in front of most others.
www.SouthernWheelworks.com - Custom wheels designed and built just for you, by hand.
dgaddis offline

Postby Greg Heil » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:23 am

I'm usually either off the front or off the back, depending on who I'm riding with. I'm sort of stuck in the middle, can't keep up with the really fast guys, but can usually keep out in front of most others.

I second this. Also, I find that it depends on the month.... if I've been riding a lot, I'll be pulling at the front of the pack but if I haven't been riding as much as I'd like, I might be somewhere mid pack.

Also, in response to the OP, when I first started riding with my local shop I was dead last--every ride. It took me a couple of years of riding with those guys (and doing a ton of riding on my own) to get anywhere close to the front, but now I'm regularly in the upper 3rd.

Also, don't feel too bad about holding everyone else up. While obviously we get pretty competitive as mtbers even on chill rides, it's still just that--a ride, not a race. If some of those guys turned on their race pace....
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby bonkedagain » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:34 am

Gdb49 wrote:In Colorado Springs. Is there a MTB club or riding group? How do you find and hook up with a riding group?
There are a few MTB related groups in Colorado Springs. There is a biker advocacy group Medicine Wheel and there are a couple meetup groups, like North Colorado Springs Cyclists and Colorado Springs Mountain Biking Club.
bonkedagain offline

Postby ninjajody » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:32 pm

Thanks for the pep doods. :D
ninjajody offline

12 postsPage 1 of 1