What got you into riding? what do you like most about riding

General mountain bike discussion lounge. Drop in and introduce yourself!
23 postsPage 1 of 21, 2
What got you into riding? what do you like most about riding

Postby lovemountainbiking12 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:25 pm

For me I just started mountain biking in march and it brings back the same fun and adrenaline i've had when i rode atv's when i was younger. I'm still in the woods, on trails, have logs rocks and climbs. only difference i don't have a motor so mountain biking is a blast for me and not to mention a good workout. it's my new favorite hobby. i love seeing new scenery and challenging terrain that elevate my riding skills. I can't get enough mountain biking!!!
lovemountainbiking12 offline

Re: What got you into riding? what do you like most about ri

Postby John Fisch » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:35 pm

I was a winter sports adrenaline junkie (as my moniker indicates). After spending many summers complaining that I couldn't ski, I figured I'd give the MTB thing a try--and I was instantly hooked--and now no longer look forward to winter the way I used to--the whole calendar is my playground :D

I like the constant variety of challenge and the fact that it's great exercise that doesn't feel like exercise. I also love all the places I can take my bike and all the places my bike has taken me. I love that it's something I can do alone or share with others. Outdoors, scenery, exercise, challenge, solitude or camaraderie--it's all good!
John Fisch offline

Postby Jared13 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:47 pm

I needed something to do after my summer classes (4 hours of Spanish was killing me.) Since I couldn't play paintball every day (too expensive and needed others to play) I grabbed my bike and headed to a nearby ski hill to ride their singletrack trails to burn off some steam. I've been hooked ever since.

Like skibum said, it's exercise without feeling like exercise, has brought me to tons of cool places, met tons of cool people, and it allows me to eat pretty much whatever I want :mrgreen:

I also like that it can be tailored to what you're in the mood for at the time. Long, lung-busting workouts, technical challenges, downhill bombing, none of the above or any combination. It's awesome!
Jared13 offline

Postby JT Orlando » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:39 am

I was so fat that I felt like a slug and knew that I needed to do something. On my ride home from work one day I happened to catch a glimpse of some mountain bikers riding some singletrack near my work. I thought "damn, that'd be fun." Then I found this website and found out about all the great trails in my area and went out and bought a bike completely on a whim. That first trail ride was the biggest life changing moment I've yet to experience.
JT Orlando offline

Postby Fitch » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:25 pm

jtorlando25 wrote:I was so fat that I felt like a slug and knew that I needed to do something. On my ride home from work one day I happened to catch a glimpse of some mountain bikers riding some singletrack near my work. I thought "damn, that'd be fun." Then I found this website and found out about all the great trails in my area and went out and bought a bike completely on a whim. That first trail ride was the biggest life changing moment I've yet to experience.

Best quote I've ever seen on this website. Kudos to you, man!

I used to tool around in the woods on my POS bike on occasion, and as I got older, it just started happening more. Then some dude told me about Singletracks.com, and years later...
www.NEMBA.org - New England Mountain Bike Association
Fitch offline

Postby CraigCreekRider » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:51 pm

At 46, jogging all of a sudden bothered my knees and ankles. Started gaining weight and I had to come up with something. Mountain biking seemed like the ticket. I remember telling the guy at the bike shop that I was just going to ride Forest Service roads and rails to trails. One ride behind the house in the national forest changed that real quick. Going up, I thought I was going to die. Coming down I was absolutely hooked for life (I hope). :D

The thing I like most about mountain biking is the ability to traverse so many miles and so much country in one ride. Its incredible. Much of my life revolves around trails and friends I have met on them. I also have met quite a few friends on forums.
CraigCreekRider offline

Postby mtbgreg1 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:40 pm

The thing I like most about mountain biking is the ability to traverse so many miles and so much country in one ride. Its incredible.

+1. That's one of the things that I love the most too! Can cover so much more territory than hiking or trail running.
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
mtbgreg1 offline
Site Moderator

Postby revans1961 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:18 pm

Fifty dollar bike from the swap meet
revans1961 offline

Postby brianW » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:09 am

when stationed in Germany there were a few people that had mt bikes. Thought they would be fun. When I got out I got myself a car, skis and a few months later a bike. After 21 years of riding I never looked back. The best thing that happened with mt biking for me was this summer my wife decided to give it a try. Now it is turning into a wonderful family activity.
brianW offline

Postby evolutionezine » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 am

yeah, good idea, The best thing that happened with mt biking for me was this summer my wife decided to give it a try. Now it is turning into a wonderful family activity.Image
evolutionezine offline

Postby CFM » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:04 pm

My wife and I were strictly road riders. On a whim we bought two of the "new style" mountain bikes to try out. That was 1989. Those bikes opened up a whole new world to us as we started to locate trails and gravel routes near our community. That initial excitement expanded during the ensuing years as we branched out to ride in other states and became involved in trail building and advocacy. We still ride mostly on the road but look forward to every opportunity to experience a new trail close to home or in an exotic location.
CFM offline

Postby UltimateTherapy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:33 pm

Top Ten reason I got into MTB and stayed in it.....

10. Turned 40 and needed other avenues of exercise other than running and the gym.
9. It is awesome!
8. Something I can do with wife and three kids.
7. It rocks!
6. Live within 5 miles of the highest rated trails in GA (Blankets Creek), according to ST.
5. It is mental therapy.
4. I love being outdoors and being challenged.
3. It keeps the lb's off. (dropped 15lb's when I started)
2. I meet great people on the trails.
1. It is extremely addictive and I love it!!!

I never thought I would be doing a dual-athlon on my 40 birthday and then doing a 50 mile XC races by the end of the year. Next year, I can wait to push myself even more. I love new trails and new sites.
UltimateTherapy offline

Postby Zoo1424 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:35 pm

When I was a kid I lived in an area with a lot of trails and my friends and I all had BMX bikes. I always loved riding trails and when somebody gave me a Schwinn High Plains mountain bike in the mid 90s I rediscovered that love of trail riding I had as a kid. I quickly moved up to a full suspension bike, promptly got out of riding and then re-rediscovered it in 2010. Now it's pretty much all I think about. I think the things I like most about riding include, just being outdoors, enjoying the great scenery, the exercise & challenge, even though it doesn't seem like exercise, and that when I'm riding, everything else goes out the window - I'm concentrating on that section of trail I'm riding and not much more.
Zoo1424 offline

Postby berryjw » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:11 am

My wife and I took a vacation to Winter Park, Colorado the first week of July, and couldn't stop watching the kids in the skate park, and the downhill riders in the resort. We never rode that trip, but the bug had bitten us both, and we came home looking for bikes. After our first single-track (an intermediate ~4 mile local), there was no question we were hooked, even if we had to take numerous breaks. We're still building muscle and endurance (been pretty sedentary the last few years), but neither of us is happy with our world if we haven't had a recent ride.
Having been parked at a desk driving a keyboard for a living, just getting back outdoors is awesome. The challenge of getting back in shape is tempered by the thrill of riding in the woods, and looking forward to the day I'm as good as some of those passing me. We haven't worn the new off it yet, so it's all great and difficult to pick out one "best" part. We've had a couple falls, some bruises, chainring tracks, and sprains, but nothing that kept us from riding out, or wanting to go back for more.
berryjw offline

Postby mtbgreg1 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:16 am

berryjw wrote:My wife and I took a vacation to Winter Park, Colorado the first week of July, and couldn't stop watching the kids in the skate park, and the downhill riders in the resort. We never rode that trip, but the bug had bitten us both, and we came home looking for bikes. After our first single-track (an intermediate ~4 mile local), there was no question we were hooked, even if we had to take numerous breaks. We're still building muscle and endurance (been pretty sedentary the last few years), but neither of us is happy with our world if we haven't had a recent ride.
Having been parked at a desk driving a keyboard for a living, just getting back outdoors is awesome. The challenge of getting back in shape is tempered by the thrill of riding in the woods, and looking forward to the day I'm as good as some of those passing me. We haven't worn the new off it yet, so it's all great and difficult to pick out one "best" part. We've had a couple falls, some bruises, chainring tracks, and sprains, but nothing that kept us from riding out, or wanting to go back for more.

Awesome story man!! Welcome to the website!
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
mtbgreg1 offline
Site Moderator

Next
23 postsPage 1 of 21, 2