Broken Bones just a part of the sport?

General mountain bike discussion lounge. Drop in and introduce yourself!
26 postsPage 2 of 21, 2
Re: Broken Bones just a part of the sport?

Postby stumpyfsr » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:14 am

dgaddis wrote:NEVER, under any circumstance, say you want to do it "one more time".

That's when the crashes happen.

I've learned that when I'm going to crash, it's best to just ride the bike to the ground, seems to work well for me.

+1 gotta know when to stop :)
stumpyfsr offline

Postby Greg Heil » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:25 am

stumpyfsr wrote:
dgaddis wrote:NEVER, under any circumstance, say you want to do it "one more time".

That's when the crashes happen.

I've learned that when I'm going to crash, it's best to just ride the bike to the ground, seems to work well for me.

+1 gotta know when to stop :)

I found during my downhill skiing days that crashes tended to happen more often towards the end of a long day. If you crash, you don't want to get intimidated by a jump and never try it again... often it's best to suck it up and hit it until you land it. But if you are reaching the point where you are almost crashing out of fatigue, it's time to dial it back or call it a day.
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby rsb201 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:24 pm

In reality, it can happen everytime we strap on the ole' helmet. Its a wonder it doesnt happen more often. I have been lucky with just a few scars and some damaged pride !!
wild wonderful west virginia
rsb201 offline

Postby John Fisch » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:31 pm

mtbgreg1 wrote:I found during my downhill skiing days that crashes tended to happen more often towards the end of a long day. If you crash, you don't want to get intimidated by a jump and never try it again... often it's best to suck it up and hit it until you land it. But if you are reaching the point where you are almost crashing out of fatigue, it's time to dial it back or call it a day.

That's very true. Ski areas report that 80% of their injuries occur during the last hour the lifts are open. Fatigue will get you if you're not self aware enough to recognize it.
John Fisch offline

Postby gfdiver » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:37 pm

I use to have a saying- If your not bleeding then you didn't ride hard enough. Yes falling is part of MB. But it doesn't have to be a hospital visit. Like other sports learning to fall should be part of the beginning and hopefully not the end of your riding. Being a gymnastics coach, that seems basic to me. I know I have avoided some high speed major pain because I took the time to learn to fall at slower speeds.
gfdiver offline

Postby banzairx7 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:22 am

Having broken both my collar bones, two ankles a leg and my foot I'd say it's part of the sport. It could also be I'm very unlucky or terrible at riding.
banzairx7 offline

Postby klowe8828 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:21 pm

With each crash you learn things about your riding style and technique that need improving. In the absence of mountain bike "coaches" telling you you're doing it wrong, this is how most of us learn and get better. I will also say after my first big crash in which i broke my wrist, it was a wake up call to control my speed, and appreciate safety gear. While I broke my wrist, all i had was a this cherry on my head and some mike tyson like ear damage that surely would've been the end of the big guy. I now use the appropriate safety gear for riding conditions without fail, and wont even ride my bike to the mailbox without a brain bucket. Nicks and cracks come with most all sports, and those poor orthapedic Dr's gotta make a living too, we're just doing our part.***note, I was still smiling***
"Mountain biking is like a night out in reverse...at first you feel like your going to black out and vomit, then you go drinking"
klowe8828 offline

Postby revans1961 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:36 pm

I have been lucky no broken bones yet. Thought my son broke wrist yesterday in big bear but only a strain. I use caution always.
revans1961 offline

Postby CFM » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:42 pm

Don't we all like to ride, at least part of the time, right up to the limit of our abilities. Occasionally we find ourselves slightly over our limits and thats when bad things can happen. But then, most of the time the bad things don't happen and we spend the rest of the day jazzed about dipping a toe over the edge and getting away with it.
CFM offline

Postby PHRANQUY » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:05 am

I've broken my hand and fractured my sternum playing soccer in high school, both of which were painful, but neither of which compared to dislocating (arm coming out of socket) my shoulder after sliding 15 feet across the ground and the 9 months of recovery I went through. Of course after that 9 months my shoulders had never been stronger, but it did make me a more cautious rider. Still have yet to get stitches or a concussion though.
PHRANQUY offline

Postby revans1961 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:49 am

Been lucky had many hard falls but nothing broken yet. I am still somewhat new two years. Thought my son snapped his wrist last week in Big Bear turned out just a bad strain.
revans1961 offline

Previous
26 postsPage 2 of 21, 2