Night riding season is upon us!

General mountain bike discussion lounge. Drop in and introduce yourself!
23 postsPage 1 of 21, 2
Night riding season is upon us!

Postby JT Orlando » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Went on my first night ride of the season last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Nothing speeds you up more than seeing those green glowing eyeballs fixed on you while you're hammering up a steep climb. Had to skip out of the trail early and ride a road back because my battery dumped. I feel like night rides always involve a little more "adventure."

Who else gets really stoked this time of year?
JT Orlando offline

Re: Night riding season is upon us!

Postby fleetwood » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:48 pm

I haven't been on any full-on night rides yet, but I did finish one in the dark last week and was glad I brought my light along. You are right though. It makes a familiar ride new again.

Back in July, I did a couple of early morning rides, that started as "night rides" but ended with the sun coming up. Not a bad way to start the day. Check out one ride here.
fleetwood offline

Postby JT Orlando » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:26 pm

I haven't woken up early enough to see a dark morning in the past 2 years :lol: although I bet that would be a lot of fun too. I enjoyed the blog post!
JT Orlando offline

Postby jeff » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:04 pm

I usually do one night ride a week year 'round so I'm even more stoked about cooler temperatures! Even at night the temps and humidity here in Atlanta are brutal. Also stoked to see the weeds die down this fall--that'll open up some of the trails for faster riding!
SINGLETRACKS.COM || Bike the net
jeff offline
Site Admin

Postby rsb201 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:51 pm

As soon as daylight wasting time is here, our Wednesday group ride turns on the lights. I do enjoy the cooler temps, but the fallen leaves are what I dislike the most.
wild wonderful west virginia
rsb201 offline

Postby jeff » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:06 pm

Yeah, there's that narrow window where the weeds are dying back but the leaves aren't too deep yet. Weather also seems to dry out here for a month or two in the fall which is great for trail conditions!
SINGLETRACKS.COM || Bike the net
jeff offline
Site Admin

Postby angelbeez78 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:23 pm

I did my 1st night ride lst wkend. Friday night w/ the full blue moon. I hit the trail about 1:30am, very little lighting of my own. Wow, i rode like it was my 1st time on a bike. Granted, where i ride is a gnarly, technical mess on a good day, but in the middle of the night? Wow it taught me some serious respect and 2 get a better light set up. (Now have the magic shine 1400 triple light set up) it was an amazing experience. The tree cover is still real thick so the super bright moon didn't help much but it was a moving experience. I fell in love w/ night riding. That was my 1st night ride. Cant wait 4 mort
angelbeez78 offline

Postby Jared13 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:03 pm

We already have leaves covering the trails here. I really dislike leaves on the trail, they hide too much and traction just sucks.

I don't have a light setup so I won't be doing any night riding for a while.
Jared13 offline

Postby angelbeez78 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:50 pm

You can pick up an awesome set of magic shine's for a good price. I got the 1400Lm for 120 shipped. I figured they would be more expensive but was pleasantly surprised.
angelbeez78 offline

Postby JT Orlando » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:40 pm

+1 for Magicshine. That's all I use.
JT Orlando offline

Postby maddslacker » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:39 am

Jared13 wrote:I don't have a light setup so I won't be doing any night riding for a while.

Watch for my upcoming review of the Lumintrek Trailblazer 1600 (1600 lumens)

It's on Amazon for $125 or you can get the 1000 lumens version for $90.

So far mine has been working beautifully, and they come with the stupid helmet mount. (The other brands charge an extra $10 for it)

These are made in China, but distributed by Lumintrek from South Carolina. They carry a 5 year warranty and will be serviced or replaced by the guys here in the States.
Come chat about mountain bikes in real time!
http://gotslack.freeshell.org/mtb

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby Greg Heil » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:00 pm

jeff wrote:Yeah, there's that narrow window where the weeds are dying back but the leaves aren't too deep yet. Weather also seems to dry out here for a month or two in the fall which is great for trail conditions!

+1 to that. There's this magic fall window that usually hits us in late Sept/early Oct in these parts. If I wasn't in school, I'd probably ride every single day when the weather is that nice!

Also, did my first night ride in months a couple of weeks ago as well! It took me a couple of minutes to get used to the feeling again, but after that it was a blast! Up here in the mountains of North Georgia, you usually have the woods all to yourself, but after dark in the middle of the week... my friend and I felt like there wasn't another soul for miles! And that was probably very true!
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby John Fisch » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:43 pm

I also get stoked about night riding. Every trail is completely new at night and seemingly different every ride. After the summer we had in CO, I'm also stoked about cooler temps.

Of course, we've got plenty of big cats in these hills, so every rustle you hear in the bush, which is always really just a bird, squirrel, or maybe a deer, causes the heartrate to soar :shock: . I shouldn't get spooked, I'm told that, by the time you know it's a mountain lion, it's too late--so if I'm still upright, it must be good, right?
John Fisch offline

Postby maddslacker » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:47 pm

skibum wrote:Every trail is completely new at night and seemingly different every ride. After the summer we had in CO, I'm also stoked about cooler temps.

You know that only like 2 trails on the front range are legally open at night, right? :(
Come chat about mountain bikes in real time!
http://gotslack.freeshell.org/mtb

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby John Fisch » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:12 pm

Only if you think the Front Range stops with Denver Metro.

Here in the Springs, the only after dark off limits is Cheyenne Mountain State Park (mores the pity too as that was my favorite night ride before I was told it was verboten after dark--it's not posted or in any of the literature, just got run off by a ranger--liability concerns). Unfortunately we lost Waldo and Williams 24/7 as a result of the fire.

That still leaves Palmer Park, Ute Valley Park, Section 16, Buckhorn, Capt Jack's, Columbine, Stratton Open Space, The Chutes, Monument Fire Trails, Red Rock Canyon Open Space and many more. I've ridden them all many times with lights. It never gets old!

Fortunately, no silly Jeffco or Dougco rules and regs down here in the land of the free! C'mon down--I'll show ya' 'round.
John Fisch offline

Next
23 postsPage 1 of 21, 2