If u could move anywhere, where'd you go? (AKA Taos Expanded

General mountain bike discussion lounge. Drop in and introduce yourself!
48 postsPage 3 of 41, 2, 3, 4
Re: Forest service approves plan to expand Taos ski area

Postby maddslacker » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:49 am

But in your heart, you know that Colorado is the right choice. amirite 8)
Come chat about mountain bikes in real time!
http://gotslack.freeshell.org/mtb

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby mtbgreg1 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:57 am

bonkedagain wrote:But, it's Utah...

There is that. Utah was on our list, but has been dropping down lately. Only problem with SLC is that I will NEVER live in a city! Can't stand them!

maddslacker wrote:
mtbgreg1 wrote:Sedona doesn't have skiing, but I've kind of been lumping it in with Flagstaff as it is the go-to winter MTB destination for Flagstaff locals.

Right, but the skiing is well within driving distance.

If you truly want to ski and MTB in the same day, you're pretty much limited to CO, NM, CA or maybe WA. (I'm not sure what their winters are like)

Oh, and the Salt Lake City area too I guess.

Look at some of my above posts... Bend, OR reportedly has mtb all year and they have GREAT skiing at Bachelor. Checking out Bend this summer... we shall see!

maddslacker wrote:But in your heart, you know that Colorado is the right choice. amirite 8)

OK, here's our shortlist:

Salida, CO
Bend, OR
Flagstaff, AZ

Other possibilities, but probably too expensive and winter MTB would be a ways away:
Crested Butte, CO
Telluride, CO

Park City, UT USED to be on our short list, but after visiting there this summer I've decided it's a great place to visit, but WAY too uppity to live there.
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
mtbgreg1 offline
Site Moderator

Re: If u could move anywhere, where'd you go? (AKA Taos Expa

Postby maddslacker » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:14 am

Wait, you're not FLDS??? :lol:

I say you put it out to a vote. Let the Singletracks community decide for you!

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby maddslacker » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:16 am

mtbgreg1 wrote:Checking out Bend this summer... we shall see!

AND you can hang with Adam Craig and Carl Decker!

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby abegold » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:36 pm

Taos is a great place to live. I've skied there many times, best terrain this side of Aspen. Mountain biking is sweet and extensive in the area. The town isn't expensive, has very good restaurants. Absolutely my favorite large town in New Mexico. Pretty liberal place, solar radio!
abegold offline

Postby UnclePatches » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:03 am

I keep seeing a place called "Italy" in the photo of the day section. If this place is for real and not photoshopped or something, guess I'd like to live there. But I still have not found proof that this place really exists or just someones made up fantasy world! Here is an example. Is this place for real?

http://www.singletracks.com/images/uploads/2012/08/66-Sent--154-0-0.jpg
UnclePatches offline

Postby bonkedagain » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:54 am

:) Funny you would mention that. I was thinking of suggesting the French riviera -- you would be right next to the mountains yet you would have the beach right there too! You could ski, bike, and scuba all in the same day! 8)
bonkedagain offline

Postby John Fisch » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:11 pm

Telluride would indeed be pricy unless you go simply by the letter O or are a famous actor/Scientologist with the initials TC.

However, just down the road is the hamlet of Cortez. Cortez, home to Phil's World, Sand Canyon, Boggy Draw and many more, offers up nearly year round riding. Yet you're still within an easy drive to Telluride for some of the Biggest singletrack in CO in the summer and absolutely killer skiing in the winter. And while Telluride is only an hour north, Durango, the original epicenter of mountain biking, is less than an hour east. As a bonus, it's a quick and easy day trip to rides like the Alien Run and Road Apple in northwestern New Mexico. Cortez has a great bike shop and, of course, Durango and Telluride have many. I made Cortez my base for a few days coming back from Sedona 2 years ago and found it to be down to earth and eminently affordable. It is a little rough around the edges, but that's what you get if you want an affordable place that's still close to such outdoor meccas.
John Fisch offline

Postby mtbgreg1 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:58 pm

skibum wrote:However, just down the road is the hamlet of Cortez. Cortez, home to Phil's World, Sand Canyon, Boggy Draw and many more, offers up nearly year round riding. Yet you're still within an easy drive to Telluride for some of the Biggest singletrack in CO in the summer and absolutely killer skiing in the winter. And while Telluride is only an hour north, Durango, the original epicenter of mountain biking, is less than an hour east. As a bonus, it's a quick and easy day trip to rides like the Alien Run and Road Apple in northwestern New Mexico. Cortez has a great bike shop and, of course, Durango and Telluride have many. I made Cortez my base for a few days coming back from Sedona 2 years ago and found it to be down to earth and eminently affordable. It is a little rough around the edges, but that's what you get if you want an affordable place that's still close to such outdoor meccas.

Wow, sounds like it might be worth looking into!
mtbgreg1 offline
Site Moderator

Postby brianW » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:04 pm

New Zealand! End of discussion, we can all move along now.
brianW offline

Postby GimmeAraise » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:48 am

Bend: Ive heard the mtb'n is great and year round but..... in terms of snow how wet is it! hard to leave Colorado blower!

Durango: pretty close to purgatory and silverton is not to far away! We all know the biking is amazing! it does however get pretty darn hot in the summer!

Gunnison: Great town, cold winters, Hartmans is rid-able mostly 9 to 10 months of the year! can ski Monarch and CB and is 2 and a half hours to Frutia!

I sacrifice the life in Crested Butte....for now at least! I'm starting to love biking almost more then skiing but that's what i always say until opening day! CB is cheaper then Telluride, I get my grocery's in Gunny and life is good! I do however like to think about the future! Durango :?
http://gimmearaise.blogspot.com/
GimmeAraise offline

Postby abegold » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:48 pm

A problem with Flagstaff, the skiing SUCKS. The terrain is great and the mountain beautiful but the lift lines are the worst you'll ever find. Until the USFS lets them upgrade the lifts I'm not going back and it's the first ski resort I ever went to. If you manage 10 runs in a day you're doing well, while at Wolf Creek and Taos I ski several times as many runs. They are having a multi year battle just to get snow making so don't expect lift improvement any time soon.
SIngletrack is some of the coolest in the state.
abegold offline

Postby mtbgreg1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:07 pm

abegold wrote:A problem with Flagstaff, the skiing SUCKS. The terrain is great and the mountain beautiful but the lift lines are the worst you'll ever find. Until the USFS lets them upgrade the lifts I'm not going back and it's the first ski resort I ever went to. If you manage 10 runs in a day you're doing well, while at Wolf Creek and Taos I ski several times as many runs. They are having a multi year battle just to get snow making so don't expect lift improvement any time soon.
SIngletrack is some of the coolest in the state.

That's no bueno. Thanks for filling me in man!
mtbgreg1 offline
Site Moderator

Postby maddslacker » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:23 pm

Dude, just move to Morrison/Evergreen/Conifer.

Small town feel, lots of riding and skiing and Denver isn't too far when you feel like doing cultural stuff.

Also the JeffCo school system pays really well.

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby abegold » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:28 pm

maddslacker wrote:But in your heart, you know that Colorado is the right choice. amirite 8)

It will be for me someday. Love Lyons, Nederland (bluegrass towns), Steamboat, Breckenridge, Pagosa Springs and Durango. Aspen's incredible skiing but I'd never afford the real estate. Anyone want a house in AZ? For sale.
Last edited by abegold on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abegold offline

PreviousNext
48 postsPage 3 of 41, 2, 3, 4