If u could move anywhere, where'd you go? (AKA Taos Expanded

General mountain bike discussion lounge. Drop in and introduce yourself!
48 postsPage 2 of 41, 2, 3, 4
Re: Forest service approves plan to expand Taos ski area

Postby maddslacker » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:16 pm

mtbgreg1 wrote:Salida has a MTB race team though ;)

So does Douglas County. (Where we live) 8)
Come chat about mountain bikes in real time!
http://gotslack.freeshell.org/mtb

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby Greg Heil » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:20 pm

maddslacker wrote:
[edit]
Colorado, by law, also allows online schooling and partially funds it with 'public school' money. All home-schooled students are allowed to enroll in extracurricular activities such as sports or drama through their local public school. AND for high school mountain biking, they can either join their local school's team or race as an independent.
[/edit]

Hmm now that is interesting.
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby maddslacker » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:27 pm

I don't live just for the great weather, awesome mountain biking, excellent income potential and lack of humidity and mosquitos... :lol:

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby Greg Heil » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:30 pm

maddslacker wrote:I don't live just for the great weather, awesome mountain biking, excellent income potential and lack of humidity and mosquitos... :lol:

Yeah but you live on the front range... I could never live there! Way too many people... I can't handle that
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby maddslacker » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:36 pm

It's ok until the kids are through school.

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby John Fisch » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Unfortunately, most of the small towns in the mountains (at leas the ones that are affordable) have schools that leave much to be desired (I understand Aspen has a great school system, but a 100-yr old victorian 3 bedroom will set you back over $1M).

The school district where I live in SW Colorado Springs is one of the top in the country and, of course, I live in the middle of a wicked good collection of world class singletrack. But, as you say, there are waaaaaay too many people. It's not Denver/Arapahoe/Jeffco, but it's still way too many people. My wife and I are seriously considering moving once our last kid is out of school (we dont' want to disrupt their lives with more moves--they've had enough of that already).

So, how are the schools in Bend?
John Fisch offline

Postby Greg Heil » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:47 pm

skibum wrote:Unfortunately, most of the small towns in the mountains (at leas the ones that are affordable) have schools that leave much to be desired (I understand Aspen has a great school system, but a 100-yr old victorian 3 bedroom will set you back over $1M).

The school district where I live in SW Colorado Springs is one of the top in the country and, of course, I live in the middle of a wicked good collection of world class singletrack. But, as you say, there are waaaaaay too many people. It's not Denver/Arapahoe/Jeffco, but it's still way too many people. My wife and I are seriously considering moving once our last kid is out of school (we dont' want to disrupt their lives with more moves--they've had enough of that already).

So, how are the schools in Bend?

That I'm not sure about, but Bend is a much bigger town--about 100,000ish.

Skibum, if YOU could move anywhere, where would you go?
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby John Fisch » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Geez, Greg, that's a toughie.

No place maxes out all categories. My criteria would include a long riding season and a great variety of singletrack, but not too hot, access to good skiing and not too many people. Keeping that in mind, I'm really happy here in Colorado Springs--all except for the population aspect. If I could go anywhere, I'd be hard pressed to pick a single place at this point, but here's my "short list":

Bozeman would definitely be high on my list, maxing out everything but the long biking season.
Tons of killer ST
Lots of fantastic skiing nearby
Unlimited opportunites for other outdoor activities
Incredible natural beauty in every direction
Great vibe and avid, involved MTB community

Grand Juncion, maxing out everything but the temps (very hot summers).
Awsome trails in town, 10 min to Fruita and 80 min to Moab
Easy day trip to Aspen/Snowmass
Colorado National Monument, Uncompagre Plateau and many other great geology (much rideable)
Real community full of real peoply/not a tourist trap

Cedar City, Ut, maxing out everything except the skiing (Brian Head won't entertain me for long)
High enoug in altitude to keep out the worst of the southern Utah Heat
Great rides next to town and up around Brian Head
80 min to St George/Hurricane for some of my all-time favorite rides

Flagstaff, also maxing out everything but the skiing (Snowbowl as the only option)
7,000 feet actually yields lower average temps than Co Springs despite being in Az
High altitude rides next to town for the hot months
Just a half hour to near year round riding in the most scenic destination of all: Sedona
Less than 2 hrs to Phoenix with many great rides in the coldest part of witnter.

Santa Fe--it's not a big population, but it is a bit cramped
Plenty of great rides in/around town
Only a short jaunt to Taos for more great riding and my all-time favorite ski area
Easy jaunt to Albuquerque, Los Alamos and Gallup.

Downieville
Great rides around town, close to low elevation rides for the winter and tahoe for the Summer
Great skiing and a variety of resorts in Tahoe
A really cool community

We settled in Co Springs so we could be close to aging parents, get the kids in good schools, and where my earning potential was high. We could overcome the last two criteria, but not the first. Without the family issues, I would have most likely pushed for Flagstaff or Bozeman. That's as close as I could narrow it down for you.
John Fisch offline

Postby Greg Heil » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:07 am

skibum wrote:Geez, Greg, that's a toughie.

No place maxes out all categories. My criteria would include a long riding season and a great variety of singletrack, but not too hot, access to good skiing and not too many people. Keeping that in mind, I'm really happy here in Colorado Springs--all except for the population aspect. If I could go anywhere, I'd be hard pressed to pick a single place at this point, but here's my "short list":

Bozeman would definitely be high on my list, maxing out everything but the long biking season.
Tons of killer ST
Lots of fantastic skiing nearby
Unlimited opportunites for other outdoor activities
Incredible natural beauty in every direction
Great vibe and avid, involved MTB community

Grand Juncion, maxing out everything but the temps (very hot summers).
Awsome trails in town, 10 min to Fruita and 80 min to Moab
Easy day trip to Aspen/Snowmass
Colorado National Monument, Uncompagre Plateau and many other great geology (much rideable)
Real community full of real peoply/not a tourist trap

Cedar City, Ut, maxing out everything except the skiing (Brian Head won't entertain me for long)
High enoug in altitude to keep out the worst of the southern Utah Heat
Great rides next to town and up around Brian Head
80 min to St George/Hurricane for some of my all-time favorite rides

Flagstaff, also maxing out everything but the skiing (Snowbowl as the only option)
7,000 feet actually yields lower average temps than Co Springs despite being in Az
High altitude rides next to town for the hot months
Just a half hour to near year round riding in the most scenic destination of all: Sedona
Less than 2 hrs to Phoenix with many great rides in the coldest part of witnter.

Santa Fe--it's not a big population, but it is a bit cramped
Plenty of great rides in/around town
Only a short jaunt to Taos for more great riding and my all-time favorite ski area
Easy jaunt to Albuquerque, Los Alamos and Gallup.

Downieville
Great rides around town, close to low elevation rides for the winter and tahoe for the Summer
Great skiing and a variety of resorts in Tahoe
A really cool community

We settled in Co Springs so we could be close to aging parents, get the kids in good schools, and where my earning potential was high. We could overcome the last two criteria, but not the first. Without the family issues, I would have most likely pushed for Flagstaff or Bozeman. That's as close as I could narrow it down for you.

Wow great list. We definitely think alike! Visited Flagstaff this summer and it was AWESOME... but like you said, the biggest drawback is the skiing. Never skied snowbowl before, and it looks decent sized but doesn't look like it gets that great of snow (I think I read about 250" somewhere).

How close is Taos to Santa Fe? I've heard amazing things about Santa Fe but have never visited there.

Bozeman DEFINITELY has the skiing underwraps! So much near there!
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby bonkedagain » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:11 am

This might be thinking outside of the box a bit, but have you ever considered Canada? Calgary is a pretty cool city, and if you want to get away from its crowds you could live to the west toward Banff. From there it is a pretty easy drive to skiing at Lake Louise and Marmot Mountain. Unlike the national parks here, in Canada you are allowed to ride the trails in the parks, so miles (or kilometers) of trails are available in Banff and Jasper National Parks. However, year round riding won't be happening in the great white north unless you are prepared for true winter riding.

Of course everybody knows about the biking in the Vancouver area -- tops in trails with Whistler/Blackcomb just up the road for winter fun. You won't get as many dry powder days (coastal cement is more common) but they get a lot of snow. Vancouver is widely considered to be one of the top cities in the world.

But, back to the good ole USA, Taos Ski Valley is probably a bit over an hour from downtown Santa Fe. The big problem with Taos is it doesn't get very reliable snow. In a good year it can be fantastic, but in a lot of years, meh... I still love the place, however. The culture is so different it is almost like going to a foreign country, and when the snow is good the skiing is fantastic.

Like Skibum, I keep thinking about trying some place different from Colorado Springs but I just haven't found a place that has a strong enough pull to get my roots out of this place.
bonkedagain offline

Postby Greg Heil » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:19 am

bonkedagain wrote:However, year round riding won't be happening in the great white north unless you are prepared for true winter riding.

That's the problem: I really want (and, for my job, need) to be able to ride my mountain bike all year round. So trying to find a place where I can mountain bike all year and still ski powder in the winter... well that really narrows down the options, which is kind of a blessing in some ways!! Otherwise, I'd feel totally overwhelmed!
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby maddslacker » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:24 am

Don't forget Sedona AZ.

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby Greg Heil » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:30 am

maddslacker wrote:Don't forget Sedona AZ.

Sedona doesn't have skiing, but I've kind of been lumping it in with Flagstaff as it is the go-to winter MTB destination for Flagstaff locals.
Greg Heil offline
Site Moderator

Postby maddslacker » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:46 am

mtbgreg1 wrote:Sedona doesn't have skiing, but I've kind of been lumping it in with Flagstaff as it is the go-to winter MTB destination for Flagstaff locals.

Right, but the skiing is well within driving distance.

If you truly want to ski and MTB in the same day, you're pretty much limited to CO, NM, CA or maybe WA. (I'm not sure what their winters are like)

Oh, and the Salt Lake City area too I guess.

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby bonkedagain » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:47 am

mtbgreg1 wrote:trying to find a place where I can mountain bike all year and still ski powder in the winter
If northern Utah wasn't so freaking weird I would add that to the list. I went to college there and can definitely attest to lots of great powder days while enjoying warm temps down in the valley. There are some decent trails around the SLC area that can be ridden most of the winter. But, it's Utah...
bonkedagain offline

PreviousNext
48 postsPage 2 of 41, 2, 3, 4