Bought a brand-new Giant Talon 29er 1, and now PROBLEMS afte

General mountain bike discussion lounge. Drop in and introduce yourself!
24 postsPage 2 of 21, 2
Re: Bought a brand-new Giant Talon 29er 1, and now PROBLEMS

Postby maddslacker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:24 pm

Suntour forks are very low end. If it works ok and feels ok, I would not lose any sleep over the rattling. It's most likely a coil fork and it is working as intended. (My Marzocchi coil fork always rattled, but it always worked ok) If the rattling is really causing you to have an ulcer, then make that your first upgrade, but don't burn your relationship with the shop over it. (When you get ready to upgrade, have a look at the Rockshox Recon SIlver. My test bike came with one and it's surprisingly good for the price)

As for the brakes, there should be no drag. Definitely work with them on getting them adjusted properly. Either the caliper is out of alignment, or the rotor is warped, or they need to be bled.
Come chat about mountain bikes in real time!
http://gotslack.freeshell.org/mtb

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby ssbraun » Sun May 27, 2012 12:38 pm

it is sad to hear that somebody else is having the same issues on their 29 er talon 1!! yes the blue and white hardtail ..I too am having front fork issues and rear brake issues. I have taking the bike back a number of times , I purchased it less than 1 year ago. The first issue I had with the rear brakes making chatter noises and major vibrations on the back brake rotor .this all happened within 25 to 30 miles after purchasing my bike .the dealer has worked on this bike at least once if not twice a month for the same issues over and over and over. They keep telling me it is normal for the bike to vibrate and my front fork to make noise .!!!!! I myself have checked the rear rotor out. And have noticed instead of it going back and forth or side to side hey goes up and down : which is causing my pads to wear quickly it is also making the brake rotor itself makes noise andvibrate . The dealer seems to think that is normal what do you think ??????? I think giant needs to get a hold of its customers and let them know they actually have an issue. Instead of pushing their bikes off on consumers and letting the dealers have to deal with the problem .!!!!!
ssbraun offline

Postby cubanchurchill » Sun May 27, 2012 3:14 pm

Sorry to hear the problems your having. The only reason I can agree you have a problem is the fact that I have none on my Talon -1 . That sux your having to go through the hassle of getting a LBS or Giant to repair a defective product. Something is not right here due to the fact that most Talon owners are very happy with their bikes. I looked at reviews before buying mine. I hope you can get the problems worked out. But, when you buy a product for the amount they are asking and it has 1 or 2 issues with it. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth. My Talon is all stock except for pedals and bar. Please keep us posted on the outcome

cubanchurchill offline

Postby schwim » Sun May 27, 2012 8:28 pm

You will never be happy if you expect a quiet Suntour fork over even the smallest dips and bumps. It's a steel spring bouncing around in there and it's noisy, heavy and terrible at it's intended job. The fork is on your bike to meet a price point. If you want a fork that works well, is quiet and will shave at least two pounds off your bike, do like I did with my Giant Yukon and save up for an upgrade. I bought a new RS Reba on eBay for 200 bucks and it's replacement of the suntour fork transformed my bike.
schwim offline

Postby cubanchurchill » Mon May 28, 2012 7:52 am

schwim wrote:You will never be happy if you expect a quiet Suntour fork over even the smallest dips and bumps. It's a steel spring bouncing around in there and it's noisy, heavy and terrible at it's intended job. The fork is on your bike to meet a price point. If you want a fork that works well, is quiet and will shave at least two pounds off your bike, do like I did with my Giant Yukon and save up for an upgrade. I bought a new RS Reba on eBay for 200 bucks and it's replacement of the suntour fork transformed my bike.

The new fork made a big difference huh ??? 200 isn't too bad. Not to sound like a big dummy but what kind of difference did it make ? does it smooth out the rough stuff at a higher speed or was it only noticed in the weight deptartment ??
cubanchurchill offline

Postby ollysj » Mon May 28, 2012 8:18 am

cubanchurchill wrote:The new fork made a big difference huh ??? 200 isn't too bad. Not to sound like a big dummy but what kind of difference did it make ? does it smooth out the rough stuff at a higher speed or was it only noticed in the weight deptartment ??
The performance of the fork is the biggest difference.
ollysj offline

Postby schwim » Mon May 28, 2012 8:47 am

cubanchurchill wrote:
schwim wrote:You will never be happy if you expect a quiet Suntour fork over even the smallest dips and bumps. It's a steel spring bouncing around in there and it's noisy, heavy and terrible at it's intended job. The fork is on your bike to meet a price point. If you want a fork that works well, is quiet and will shave at least two pounds off your bike, do like I did with my Giant Yukon and save up for an upgrade. I bought a new RS Reba on eBay for 200 bucks and it's replacement of the suntour fork transformed my bike.

The new fork made a big difference huh ??? 200 isn't too bad. Not to sound like a big dummy but what kind of difference did it make ? does it smooth out the rough stuff at a higher speed or was it only noticed in the weight deptartment ??

the biggest difference was the absorption of the bumps, big and small. The weight was just a bonus to me. In the weeks of riding the suntour, switching to the new fork was like riding on a cloud.
schwim offline

Postby jeremiahbwhite » Mon May 28, 2012 3:32 pm

Sounds to me like some kid wiped his boogers on the disc. Take the rear wheel off, clean the disc with Acetone, and take a paper towel and wipe off your brake pads. If that doesn't work, you need to go up a disc size.
jeremiahbwhite offline

Postby jeremiahbwhite » Mon May 28, 2012 3:35 pm

Also just read that your disc is moving up and down. Things is off center. Loosen up the star bolts and rotate the disc backwards, then torque the bolts back down. Should clean up a LOT of vibration.
jeremiahbwhite offline

Previous
24 postsPage 2 of 21, 2