Jock strap and/or protective cup for mountain biking?

General mountain bike discussion lounge. Drop in and introduce yourself!
13 postsPage 1 of 1
Jock strap and/or protective cup for mountain biking?

Postby jeff » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:43 pm

Just came across this question over on the Yahoo! Answers site:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 350AA1E5aA

"my son has recently started mountain biking and i was thinking should i get cycling shorts or a cup jockstrap for him?"

A cup for mountain biking? Seriously, has this person ever ridden a bike? :)
SINGLETRACKS.COM || Bike the net
jeff offline
Site Admin

Re: Jock strap and/or protective cup for mountain biking?

Postby mtbgreg1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:07 pm

trek7k wrote:
"my son has recently started mountain biking and i was thinking should i get cycling shorts or a cup jockstrap for him?"

um.... no. just no.
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
mtbgreg1 offline
Site Moderator

Postby Inertia » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:22 pm

I would have suggested a dancing cup, with unitard and leg warmers. :P
Inertia offline

Postby cjm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:47 pm

Some downhillers will were a cup. You get whacked in the coconuts enough times by the saddle, you'll give it a good long thought. A friend of mine slipped a pedal at winter park and, quite rudely introduced, his testicles to the top tube. The cup discussion came up again. A cup isn't a needed a feature for me. I ride very low on the bike. About once a year I'll take shot in the gonads. Usually there is more shock and terror than pain. I have taken the saddle hard enough, to lower abdomen, for bruising. I don't want to imagine how bad a bruised testicle hurts. I guarantee after you bruise one, you'd were a cup.

If you ride over the rear axle, versus the saddle, you definitely need something to hold all of your manhood up. I buzz my ass with the rear wheel about a half dozen times a season. It's shocking enough on my bum. I can imagine how terrified I would be if I buzzed my nuts instead. I would probably crash because of the panic. Depending on the boys age, a jock strap and rugged shorts makes more monetary sense than some over priced MTB gear. Personally, I ride utility trousers with UnderArmor compression shorts.

Hey, remember when we used to ridicule people for wearing helmets while skateboarding and biking. Those pansies. Real men don't wear helmets. Right?
cjm offline

Postby mtbgreg1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:53 pm

cjm wrote:Some downhillers will were a cup. You get whacked in the coconuts enough times by the saddle, you'll give it a good long thought. A friend of mine slipped a pedal at winter park and, quite rudely introduced, his testicles to the top tube. The cup discussion came up again. A cup isn't a needed a feature for me. I ride very low on the bike. About once a year I'll take shot in the gonads. Usually there is more shock and terror than pain. I have taken the saddle hard enough, to lower abdomen, for bruising. I don't want to imagine how bad a bruised testicle hurts. I guarantee after you bruise one, you'd were a cup.

If you ride over the rear axle, versus the saddle, you definitely need something to hold all of your manhood up. I buzz my ass with the rear wheel about a half dozen times a season. It's shocking enough on my bum. I can imagine how terrified I would be if I buzzed my nuts instead. I would probably crash because of the panic. Depending on the boys age, a jock strap and rugged shorts makes more monetary sense than some over priced MTB gear. Personally, I ride utility trousers with UnderArmor compression shorts.

Hey, remember when we used to ridicule people for wearing helmets while skateboarding and biking. Those pansies. Real men don't wear helmets. Right?

I somehow seriously doubt this kid is doing gnarly downhill.... but point taken
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
mtbgreg1 offline
Site Moderator

Postby dgaddis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:34 pm

The main reason I wear bike specific shorts is to keep the boys up and out of harms way. With a long, narrow xc saddle, if you move around a lot on the bike like I do, you can easily get yer basket squished between your leg and seat. And it hurts. Not a problem with cycling shorts though.
www.SouthernWheelworks.com - Custom wheels designed and built just for you, by hand.
dgaddis offline

Postby Vtolds » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:14 pm

Only had one testicle injury on a bike, and its because the top tube was just to high. I bounced off my saddle and landed right on it. Lets just say my current frame fits me.

I say no cup is needed.
Vtolds offline

Postby Suvacrew » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:26 pm

I'd suggest a Borat thong!!

Let's be real..even when I played ball (Fullback), I rarely wore a cup..suffered the consequence once and still wasn't enough incentive to deal with an armored codpiece. how would you even pedal?

Anyone remember the goose neck and frame pads from the early BMX racing days???
Suvacrew offline

Postby Suvacrew » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:56 pm

. No need for that form of demeanor Suvacrew. Play nice or do not post! :wink:[/quote]

I'm at a loss on what I posted that was offensive but glad to see you can be my personal censor :?: I do know that my post occurred unedited when my cat strolled across the key board...that would explain a sent note but not the choice of words. I'll use American vs Kiwi words..it's tough to do but helps with translation. My bad..will try to avoid such forum faux pas but I'm thinking it's genetic.
Cheers
Suvacrew offline

Postby garbanzo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:17 pm

Wow , please no borat thongs on the trails :lol:

This reminds me of the show Wonder years " Ya, I need a price check on a youth jockstrap, size SMALL" over the intercom at the mall. :lol:
garbanzo offline

Postby tvance » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:43 pm

ahahaha that must be an akward conversation between him and his son
tvance offline

Postby joetutt » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:24 pm

Hey man, after a close call this past weekend, I found myself having a heart to heart with well, myself. I lost it on a sandy, loose, downhill, which is normally no big deal right? Not this time. As I was falling I jumped off and thought everything was fine, but BAM! Stopping me dead in my tracks and out of no where a dead, relatively sharp branch sticking out a good four feet just took it to me, just inches from my package. INCHES! I tell you what, one measly wrong move and BOOM, here you go the next John Bobbit. So I remembered this thread and thought not that bad of a question after all.
joetutt offline

Postby abegold » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Any good bike short or cycling underwear chamois PAD is long enough to cover your boys. Yeah, I've smacked them a few times but never bad.
Beside you don't wear underwear with cycling shorts.[/quote]
abegold offline

13 postsPage 1 of 1