65 yo bike rider kills teen who assaulted him

Share any MTB blog posts that you've written, or come here to read stories and articles from your fellow mountain bikers!
17 postsPage 1 of 21, 2
65 yo bike rider kills teen who assaulted him

Postby mtbgreg1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:55 pm

A 65-year-old man who was knocked off his bicycle by three teenagers on a Pennsylvania trail shot two of them, killing one, police said according to reports.

The Reading Eagle newspaper said the wounded teen, 16, was taken to hospital and the third, age 15, was taken in for questioning and was later sent to a youth center.

The paper said the mother of the slain boy, 16, asked officials not to release his name until she had been able to tell other members of the family what happened.

The incident happened on the Thun Trail near a bridge over the Schuylkill River, between Reading and West Reading around noon Wednesday. According to WGAL.com, police said the boys knocked the man off his bicycle in an apparent robbery attempt.

Read more here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46143485/ns ... IluVoUtGtn

While it doesn't say if he was riding a mountain bike or not, in my book this is a total self-defense WIN. Mess with a senior citizen on a bike? Get blown away.
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
mtbgreg1 offline
Site Moderator

Re: 65 yo bike rider kills teen who assaulted him

Postby John Fisch » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:20 pm

I know folks who are packin' while ridin'--but that's in case of mountain lions, bears or maybe rattlesnakes--but humans? Tough neighboorhood in which to ride :shock:!
John Fisch offline

Postby mtbgreg1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:24 pm

skibum wrote:I know folks who are packin' while ridin'--but that's in case of mountain lions, bears or maybe rattlesnakes--but humans? Tough neighboorhood in which to ride :shock:!

No kidding! This dude wasn't messing around though... dang.

Think twice before you mug an old guy on a bike, kids.

PS this is my 3,000th forum post 8)
mtbgreg1 offline
Site Moderator

Postby UltimateTherapy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:55 pm

It has been documented that a very high percentage of those that have carry permits are the older generations. Reasons given was that most have a military background and are familiar and comfortable with guns and feel the need to defend themselves. My dad is 70, and he and most of his friends have permits. I am going to get one, just need to make it a priority. I am not sure I would take it with me when riding, but you never know.
Last edited by UltimateTherapy on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UltimateTherapy offline

Postby JT Orlando » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:08 pm

It's interesting that there aren't any more details about the attack. From the perspective of someone who has a concealed carry permit and rarely leaves home without a .40 in my waist (myself), the author is almost making the old man out to be the bad guy. You do not draw your weapon unless you feel your life is in danger. Did these kids assault him with a weapon? It doesn't say that...it sounds like they just knocked him off his bike and beat him up a little bit. At 65, you're not so frail that you can't take a fist from a teenager. Had they pulled a knife or gun on him, then I could see shooting. I'm not saying he was wrong though because there just aren't enough details.

I bet the person writing the story (and the news outlet he works for) does not like guns.
JT Orlando offline

Postby fleetwood » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:18 pm

mtbgreg1 wrote:PS this is my 3,000th forum post 8)

I'm only replying in an attempt to catch up with mtbgreg1.
fleetwood offline

Postby fleetwood » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:19 pm

fleetwood wrote:

+1
fleetwood offline

Postby mtbgreg1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:24 pm

fleetwood wrote:
fleetwood wrote:

+1

:lol:
mtbgreg1 offline
Site Moderator

Postby John Fisch » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:34 pm

I'm not likely to catch Greg . . . either in posts OR on the trail :mrgreen:
John Fisch offline

Postby maddslacker » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:12 pm

I've got only 20 to go .. well, 19 now. :D
Come chat about mountain bikes in real time!
http://gotslack.freeshell.org/mtb

carpe tracto talea
maddslacker offline

Postby mtbgreg1 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:17 pm

skibum wrote:I'm not likely to catch Greg . . . either in posts OR on the trail :mrgreen:

You're still dominating in overall # of trails ridden!!
mtbgreg1 offline
Site Moderator

Postby JSatch » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:29 pm

would like to hear more details on the story.

killing someone over a bike isn't reasonable. hanging them by their thumbs is.

if he were threatened and feared for his own life, and my guess he was, then the response was reasonable.
JSatch offline

Postby erikolson » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:12 am

I had to put my two cents in on this one. I recently moved to Houston, and I feel like my life is at stake every day. Maybe it is just because I have been living in smaller towns the last couple years. Originally, I am from Minneapolis. I had some close calls there. It seems like everywhere I go in Houston some dirtbag is looking at me as a victim. I sold my .44 Desert Eagle a couple years ago, because my wife does not like guns. I bought the .44 for hiking in Superior national forest (bears and wolves). I am now considering buying a PPK or small 9mm, and getting a permit to carry. Not to protect myself from wild animals, but wild humans. Maybe I just feel victimized, because my bike was stolen two days after moving to Houston. Oh, if someone tries to sell you a 1995 Cannondale Super V 700 (dark metallic green), it is probably mine. There is a picture of it on my profile. I would appreciate it if you would let me know.
erikolson offline

Postby brianW » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:50 am

The story is from liberal biased MSNBC. Of course the person with the weapon will be portrayed as the 'bad guy'. I do not know enough to judge.
brianW offline

Postby Bubblehead10MM » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:37 am

erikolson wrote: I am now considering buying a PPK or small 9mm, and getting a permit to carry. Not to protect myself from wild animals, but wild humans.

not to get too far off topic but while the PPK is really nice, the straight blow back design makes it a pain(literally). There are much better designs available these days.
Sorry about the bike, back in 94 first day in Fargo some JO tried to swipe my bike, got away with the front wheel and seat and post.
Trying to "fill the unforgiving Minute"
"We have not journeyed across the centuries, across the oceans, across the mountains, across the prairies, because we are made of sugar candy." W. Churchill
Bubblehead10MM offline

Next
17 postsPage 1 of 21, 2