A Little Something About Priorities

Share any MTB blog posts that you've written, or come here to read stories and articles from your fellow mountain bikers!
7 postsPage 1 of 1
A Little Something About Priorities

Postby fleetwood » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:49 am

It was interesting how much discussion resulted from this post just from my riding buddies. Thought I'd pass it along and see what others have to say.

The Rest of the Story: As it turned out, I was able not only to help with some trail work, but I was able to meet up with the guys and get a short but fun ride in. We finished up at dark under a nearly full moon and met up afterward for some grub and a couple of beers. Worked out nicely as far as I am concerned.
fleetwood offline

Re: A Little Something About Priorities

Postby CraigCreekRider » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:25 pm

fleetwood wrote:It was interesting how much discussion resulted from this post just from my riding buddies. Thought I'd pass it along and see what others have to say.

The Rest of the Story: As it turned out, I was able not only to help with some trail work, but I was able to meet up with the guys and get a short but fun ride in. We finished up at dark under a nearly full moon and met up afterward for some grub and a couple of beers. Worked out nicely as far as I am concerned.

Nicely done.
In the end I would say 5% of the riders do 90% of the trail work.
CraigCreekRider offline

Postby Jared13 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:36 pm

Nice work, Fleetwood.

When your buddies razz you about priorities, I think you should point out they might have theirs a bit backwards ;)

@CCR
I think that 90% is a bit low, tbh.
Jared13 offline

Postby John Fisch » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:36 pm

I understand completely. I just spent a vacation riding killer singletrack in Montana. One of the locals invited me to do some trail work with him and his buds. Well, I could have got another day of riding in, which would have been great since I don't get to Montana that often and there were still dozens of unridden trails on my bucket list.

But I chose to do the trail work instead and was thrilled to do so. One of the guys had taken his Sunday to show me a nice route as well as given me great recommendations for the rest of my days there, so the least I could dot was help him reroute a damaged trail. Upon my arrival there, I learned that the trail which I had enjoyed so much the previous day had recenlty been cleared of a tremendous amount of deadfall--by the same guys I was doing trail work with (and their equestrian partners)!

Nothing but good karma all the way around--gotta love it.
John Fisch offline

Postby mtbgreg1 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:20 pm

Well put fleetwood. Quick question: why couldn't you guys do BOTH: work and THEN ride?
Editor in Chief, Singletracks.com
mtbgreg1 offline
Site Moderator

Postby CraigCreekRider » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:42 pm

mtbgreg1 wrote:Well put fleetwood. Quick question: why couldn't you guys do BOTH: work and THEN ride?

You might be young enough to get away with that. Old fart like me, I am usually tapped out after 3 or 4 hours of trail work. :lol:
CraigCreekRider offline

Postby fleetwood » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:38 am

CraigCreekRider wrote:
mtbgreg1 wrote:Well put fleetwood. Quick question: why couldn't you guys do BOTH: work and THEN ride?

You might be young enough to get away with that. Old fart like me, I am usually tapped out after 3 or 4 hours of trail work. :lol:

@mtbgreg1 - if you read my "rest of the story", you'll see I did do trail work and get a brief ride in. The bigger challenge is getting the others to see you can do both and that sacrificing a little riding time is a good thing in the big picture.

@CCR - fortunately, the trail work didn't take that long and didn't tire me out too much, so I felt up for riding. Would have done more, but ran out of daylight. We finished the ride with lights, but the trails are technically closed at dark.
fleetwood offline

7 postsPage 1 of 1